My new Leaf Cutting Ant Room

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Britishants.com
Worker

Re: My new Leaf Cutting Ant Room

Post by Britishants.com » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:41 am

I feel a trip coming on! :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:39 am

So been busy getting ready for the first collecting trip of the year in January by finishing the new ant room.
And now its ready!
Lots of work, lots of organising, but I think its worth it.

View from the entrance.

This is the workstation where I will be doing my research and articles etc.

If you remember the original drawings, these are the units to house the colonies. My capacity in the new ant room is now around 450 colonies!

Also in the room are examples of my new product for 2017, complete display nest units which will be plug and play. These will be delivered with a very large colony already established so a customer can buy a very big nest and not have to worry about setting up.

At the other end of the room there is the space where another two housing units will be built.

These shelfs are already set up to receive the colonies from Trinidad. Each shelf will accommodate around 30 small nests.

And the remaining stock from my previous trip has been moved from the old ant room to here.....

More pictures as I get them and as the room develops.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Your new ant room looks stunning!!!! :D I'm definitely going to pay a visit!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:11 pm

My wife wants to go to the the Amazon, but i think a visit to your place could be just as expensive, but easier to get too. Very impressive Andrew.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Very impressive indeed! Well impressed! Gush gush

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Nice one.. looks great...

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks guys, will keep everyone posted on developments. Wanted a space that would reflect what I do and serve as an advert for commercial institutions who might want to visit and train staff etc. Needs to look world class to do its job in this regard, professional people do not like 'home made' when they are considering expenditure and visiting to check me out. Kwang Yeong came all the way from South Korea to Bonnybridge to have a look at my facility before committing his institute to purchasing colonies. Although I was very happy with my little ant room at the time, it didnt really stack up to what was being discussed so at that stage the decision was more or less made that, in order to move to the next level I would need to set up something that would reflect the blurb I say online and on the phone. Hopefully, when finished, this is it.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:39 am

I've seen this up close and it's brilliant, if anyone is thinking of visiting wait till its fully loaded in a few months and see lots of new species. And try leaving without buying some! Ha ha.