Deansies plug and play

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Cheew
Larva

Re: Deansies plug and play

Post by Cheew » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:58 am

Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I have spent all week reading trough the great info and read almost every page of the projects section.
Fantastic forum, I wish it had been around when I first tried to keep Atta 10 years ago (Miserably failed).

I am struggling to find what the white board you are using in the fungus chamber is Jamie? Is is Hydroboard or something similar, I really like the look of it instead of clay balls/peat etc.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi cheew, it's nice to meet you-glad your enjoying the forum.
It would be great if you introduced yourself in the intro section and give us some info on your set up/ experience of keeping Atta 10 years ago.
The white stuff your asking about is just plaster of Paris.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:48 am

Cheew, fantastic to have someone who has kept Leaf Cutters in the past. Like Jamie said, post in the new members section and also give us a n insight into your setup 10 years ago. There is nothing better than working through a project in real time when someone is setting up and sharing with other like minded enthusiasts. Hopefully you are about to have another go. Several members on here tried and were unsuccessful the first time but all have tried again and have fantastic colonies now. Nice to meet you.

Deansie26
Major

behaviour change

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Noted a unwanted behaviour change today, as you can see I've been using a small vivarium as a feeding area and usually I can open the door, flick away any ants at the doors and they all run. Well not today, sustained stampede every time the door is opened which is a pain, it's not escape proof at the doors either so have had to celotape them up ha ha.
Could be the mild temperatures or population jump, either way I'll need to do a make shift moat tomorrow.
You can see the fungus at the end also.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Where's the commentary :evil:

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Ha ha no chance of that,

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Yep they're definitely Leaf Cutters imo! Always causing trouble, escaping and dam interesting! Sooooo..... how ya goin to fix that then.....?

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 am

I have a potential quick and cheap solution. Get some of the Fluon Oil from antstore.. it's virtually invisible when applied (note - oil!)

Then apply a 2cm thick line with a cotton bud all around the vivarium to isolate the doors - you could apply the line just below the door level all the way around or you could apply the barrier around the doors themselves to isolate them that way.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:18 pm

I'm not talking to them for a few days, see if they take the hint :roll:
Thanks Richard, was only kidding on the commentary by the way, will get on it next time.