Deansies plug and play

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Deansie26
Major

Deansies plug and play

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi everyone, not sure if I've mentioned it previously but I've been trying to come up with a unit for keeping leafcutters that is as near to a "plug and play" as you can get, or that I can achieve! Well this is my first go, it has two large nest chambers that are connected via pipe work. There are two exit pipes from the unit, one leading to a foraging area and one to a dump chamber. The tanks are heated to a temperature of 24.5 degrees with a gradient from top to bottom of only 0.2 degrees.
There are viewing windows on both sides which are double glazed.
I'm getting a nice glass feeding vivarium built by Andrew in the near future and it will sit nicely on top.
A small Atta colony will be going in to try it out in the next few days so I'm sure lots of problems will become apparent.
Then next week I'm starting a single tank unit that will be made of plastic but will be of similar design which should be light enough to post!
Thanks for reading.

RichardP
Worker

Re: Deansies plug and play

Post by RichardP » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Nice one.. looks great.. :) Good work. It'll be interesting to see how it performs....

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:59 am

I've had to add a heated door/ flap to the unit as the double glazing wasn't enough to keep the inner tank clear at the window. Was still drawing condensation. This addition has cleared it. Hope to have the ants in on Monday.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:31 am

How do you put the holes in your aquariums deansie?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Glass hold drill bit, similar to this http://uk.tools4pro.com/diamond-bits-we ... Gwodtx8B3A

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Just popped an Atta colony into the unit so we'll see how it goes. Decided to leave it in the garage and we see how it comes with the winter temps. Total make shift foraging tubs at the minute. To be honest I think there is to much fungus for the number of ants, there isn't many.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:20 pm

It's a great idea and it's looking good!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 pm

My God Jamie, where did that come from!! How did you get that line of ants on it. What material did you add to the front to give the textured effect. I like the commercial feel to it. Still, you cant slag Sean off any more for selling pods if you are going to produce your own! I like the internal workings. Follows the general rule we follow in commercial installs. Hide the boring workings behind an interesting facade to engage the public. Might be competition for me!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Ha ha don't think your company's in any immediate danger :lol: I remembered doing that coco fibre trick when I was making dart frog set ups, hides the unsightly glass a bit as you said, ants stickers are just of ebay- couldn't see any leafcutting
Its a work in progress but the conditions are good, the next one is going to be sweet and far less DIY to look at hopefully :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 pm

It genuinely looks great. A step up from the basic pod and possibly something that is scaleable for a really large Atta. I remember how traumatised you were at the Five Sisters colony. Is this your reaction?