Let's get leafy

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Siddle33
Larva

Let's get leafy

Post by Siddle33 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:07 am

hello again
sorry for the delay as i've been planning my further education, however, who needs education when you can have leaf cutters.

As i'm sure you all cant wait to see what incredible thing I've thought up here's the basic plan for the colony, i am aware that it looks incredibly dodgy so any pointers of things that seem completely stupid would be awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Siddle33
Larva

Re: Hello all

Post by Siddle33 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:21 am

not that its obvious but there will be a lid with ventilation also to keep the humidity high. :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:51 am

Hey Siddle, what will the fungus tub be like? Will it have soil? How will you prevent dripping condensation? Just some question. this should really be posted in the build section, as this area is for introductions. What do you want it called and I'll move it later..

Siddle33
Larva

Post by Siddle33 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:45 am

Deansie26 wrote:Hey Siddle, what will the fungus tub be like? Will it have soil? How will you prevent dripping condensation? Just some question. this should really be posted in the build section, as this area is for introductions. What do you want it called and I'll move it later..
i think 'lets get leafy' sounds good. As for the fungus i guess it will come with soil? although id prefer to have it without. also I'm stumped on the dripping condensation. Would you suggest i heat the water internally or keep a heat mat underneath?

Deansie26
Major

Re: Let's get leafy

Post by Deansie26 » Sat May 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Colonies wouldn't wouldn't be sent with soil, just fungus and ants. It's best to look at members journals, see what they have done and problems they have faced then come to some decisions on things like heating options etc, you will learn more that way.

Siddle33
Larva

Post by Siddle33 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Updated plan basically copy Richardp's early aquarium setup as that looks absolutely ace (and is almost what I was getting at with the pictures before I read his journal)

Siddle33
Larva

Post by Siddle33 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:59 pm

Also I hope he's okay with that because I'd say I'm his biggest fan right now :D

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon May 23, 2016 5:47 pm

Ha Brilliant :lol: If you need any questions answered please don't hesitate to ask...

Siddle33
Larva

Post by Siddle33 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:56 pm

RichardP wrote:Ha Brilliant :lol: If you need any questions answered please don't hesitate to ask...
:) I meant to ask actually you started off with quite a lot of dirt in the fungus housing did you keep that much as time went on or did you take any out/did the ants take it out as and when they wanted to?

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue May 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Siddle33 wrote:
RichardP wrote:Ha Brilliant :lol: If you need any questions answered please don't hesitate to ask...
:) I meant to ask actually you started off with quite a lot of dirt in the fungus housing did you keep that much as time went on or did you take any out/did the ants take it out as and when they wanted to?
The ants will remove whatever you put in the nesting chamber as they develop their fungus. As they dumped it outside the nest I would, from time to time, remove it further with a spoon. Otherwise it would end up in the aquarium water. Which in itself is no disaster... just keeping things tidy.