Amazona Zoo, Cromer, Norfolk

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Amazona Zoo, Cromer, Norfolk

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue May 10, 2016 11:54 pm

Spent all of last week at Amazona Zoo in Cromer, setting up a Leaf Cutting Ant colony and building a large walk through cave for their tropical house. Turned out very well. Some pictures below. (we didnt paint the enclosure backgrounds!!)

The Leaf Cutters were housed in a tank with moat at one end of the cave and we ran a pipe to the other end. It was Raj's colony we used for this job. Nice colony!

Deansie26
Major

Re: Amazona Zoo, Cromer, Norfolk

Post by Deansie26 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:15 am

Fantastic, the rock work looks really great and the unpainted colour really goes. Is there a moat in the foraging tank and does the vertical pipe have anything in it to help them grip?
How is the set up heated?

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 am

Another cracking job!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed May 11, 2016 10:04 am

Deansie26 wrote:Fantastic, the rock work looks really great and the unpainted colour really goes. Is there a moat in the foraging tank and does the vertical pipe have anything in it to help them grip?
Unpainted colour! :(
Moat in the feeding tank is on the base, I added around 4" of water there.
There is a branch up through the centre of all vertical pipes.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:
Deansie26 wrote:Fantastic, the rock work looks really great and the unpainted colour really goes. Is there a moat in the foraging tank and does the vertical pipe have anything in it to help them grip?
Unpainted colour! :(
Moat in the feeding tank is on the base, I added around 4" of water there.
There is a branch up through the centre of all vertical pipes.
Sorry you meant you didn't paint inside the enclosures, the green walls.
I was thinking that cement has dried a fantastic colour ha ha, looks great though you are screwed. When you do move to Trinidad your going to have to come back everytime a job requires it done to do it yourself lol, bit to artistic for most folk I'd imagine :)
Where did you learn to do it?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed May 11, 2016 10:20 am

Deansie26 wrote: Sorry you meant you didn't paint inside the enclosures, the green walls.
I was thinking that cement has dried a fantastic colour ha ha, looks great though you are screwed. When you do move to Trinidad your going to have to come back everytime a job requires it done to do it yourself lol, bit to artistic for most folk I'd imagine :)
Where did you learn to do it?
Its actually painfully easy! But thats a secret, dont tell anyone!