Bitterlime's awesome acrylic dome set up build/project!

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Bitterlime
Minim

Re: Bitterlime's awesome acrylic dome set up build/project!

Post by Bitterlime » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:33 pm

Deansie26 wrote:Look forward to the updates!
Eloise, when you had the ants in Andrew's tank did you ever have to top up the water? How frequently if you did.
Everyday I had to top up the water and once I forgot and the thermostat started burning!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:22 pm

Ha ha thought as much. I ended up with mould on my walls and around the window. I wouldn't have an open top tank in my house again.
I can see you needing a heat mat and thermostat to lie on the top of your vitopod, set at a slightly lower temp than the unit. This will keep the moisture in the air more and stop it condense on he roof and also improve your visibility.
Hopefully I'm wrong :)

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes I think your right! :lol: The humidity has definaty gone up it is 75%

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:16 pm

The rope walkway has been set up, my mum tied it up with fishing line!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:19 pm

I managed to move the fungus!!!!!!!
I removed some of the soil with my hands.
Then I used a clean metal spoon to pick up the fungus and put it into the seed tray! It's amazing to see the whole fungus and all the larvae! :)
I saved as many ants as I could! I couldn't see the queen anywhere!! :( I'm slightly worried! But I hope she is in the fungus somewhere!

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:26 pm

If I were you I would break up the fungus and find the queen
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Eloise, a few things. Firstly the fungus appears small for the time you have it. It is also quite white. This may be a product of having to house them in a way not ideal for a while. Secondly, I agree with Marco, you need to get eyes on the queen. What have you done with the old media, is there any chance the queen could still be there? Finally is your room where you are keeping the ants over 20C all the time. If its not the ants wont make the journey from nest to food very enthusiastically. I would be tempted to place an inverted clear container over the fungus until it is growing strongly. With an exit / entrance hole.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Eloise, a few things. Firstly the fungus appears small for the time you have it. It is also quite white. This may be a product of having to house them in a way not ideal for a while. Secondly, I agree with Marco, you need to get eyes on the queen. What have you done with the old media, is there any chance the queen could still be there? Finally is your room where you are keeping the ants over 20C all the time. If its not the ants wont make the journey from nest to food very enthusiastically. I would be tempted to place an inverted clear container over the fungus until it is growing strongly. With an exit / entrance hole.
She is definitely not in the substrate left in the tub because I sifted through the entire thing! My room is in the loft and gets very warm in the summer, I can turn up the heat! They are already cutting leaves and have started to climb the rope! I'll break up the fungus and check!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:07 pm

I have located the queen! She is definitely there!

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Good! Now let's hope that fungus grows nice and big
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)