Bitterlime's awesome acrylic dome set up build/project!

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Deansie26
Major

Re: Bitterlime's awesome acrylic dome set up build/project!

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Really looking forward to seeing it get going, don't know how I've never seen them before.
It will break up if you use your hands. I big kitchen spoon is what I use. Hopefully you can see the queen as it puts your mind at rest.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Deansie26 wrote:Really looking forward to seeing it get going, don't know how I've never seen them before.
It will break up if you use your hands. I big kitchen spoon is what I use. Hopefully you can see the queen as it puts your mind at rest.
Thanks! I just came across the website here is the link if you want to see it! http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/vi ... oCL5Dw_wcB
They are good quility but they are not cheap!!!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:28 am

I have set everything up, just waiting on a few things that I have ordered to complete the setup. The temperature is set at 25c, in the Vitopod I have put 6 small seed trays inside and I tested how much condensation I would get by wetting some soil, I get a little bit of condensation and the soil is drying out very quickly and I think the humidity is very low. Do you think that I should put water in the bottom of the Vitopod tray and put drainage holes in the seed trays? Or any other suggestions would be helpful on how to get the moisture and humidity levels higher. I have also tried putting a lid on the seed tray but then if the fungus was in there then the water would just drip directly onto it! :?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:47 pm

It's hard tell till you see it together, how will the ants get from tub to tub? They may dump over the side so will it be easy to clean when the ants are in?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Eloise, easier to tell whats going on with a picture or two. I like the direction you are taking this in though, trying new stuff is what its all about. (no wait, I'm not allowed to try new forum styles just now, I take that back)

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Deansie26 wrote:It's hard tell till you see it together, how will the ants get from tub to tub? They may dump over the side so will it be easy to clean when the ants are in?
Good point! I was going to put lids on the seed trays and then connect the trays with tubes but too much condensation formed within the lid, I was just going to let them travel freely about in the vitopod but maybe thats not such a good idea? It should be easy to clean out! I will put something around the edge to prevent them from escaping!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:48 am

If you let them walk about freely Eloise there will come a point quite quickly where you won't be able to open the lid again, there will be to many manic ants.

Where do they exit the unit, via a modified side vent?

If to much condensation formed on the lid of the small tubs then I'd predict to much will form on on the Vito lid.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:10 am

Eloise, could you not remove all the smaller boxes except two and do an initial setup where the nest is in one and the feeding is at the other end and connect with a branch, exactly the same as the tank. Then add some water in the base and heat that. Then when the colony grows you could add other boxes to the nest end. Do you have the single or double height setup. If its the double height setup could you stack the boxes on top of each other so you can keep the island idea going. Not sure if thats feasible from the pictures, just thinking about your setup.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Deansie26 wrote:If you let them walk about freely Eloise there will come a point quite quickly where you won't be able to open the lid again, there will be to many manic ants.
Where do they exit the unit, via a modified side vent?
If to much condensation formed on the lid of the small tubs then I'd predict to much will form on on the Vito lid.
I have used Andrews idea and filled the vitopod tray with water, which will prevent the ants from climbing up the sides and will hopefully increase the humidity, in terms of condensation I'm waiting to see how much will form!
My idea was to use the top vent to create a rope walkway from the vitopod to the tank!
Acromyrmexbob wrote:Eloise, could you not remove all the smaller boxes except two and do an initial setup where the nest is in one and the feeding is at the other end and connect with a branch, exactly the same as the tank. Then add some water in the base and heat that. Then when the colony grows you could add other boxes to the nest end. Do you have the single or double height setup. If its the double height setup could you stack the boxes on top of each other so you can keep the island idea going. Not sure if thats feasible from the pictures, just thinking about your setup.
That's a great idea! But I'm going to use the tank as a feeding area/outworld. Unfortunately it's not double height but I can fit a good six trays in there!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:54 pm

Look forward to the updates!
Eloise, when you had the ants in Andrew's tank did you ever have to top up the water? How frequently if you did.