Magic's first set up

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Magic
Pupa

Magic's first set up

Post by Magic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Hello everyone I am just about to start to build my first set up for the great Acromyrmex Octospinosus . As you probably know last Sunday Richard was the lucky winner of the colony and he has donated it to me .It will be very special as it's my first colony of leaf cutters . It's going to be amazing, looking forward to your help and advice to make it the best I can

Magic
Pupa

Re: Magic's first set up

Post by Magic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:07 am

Hi everyone I was looking at set ups and quite a lot of them is build in aquarium with water. I quite like that idea and I think I'm going to based mine on that.
Already got 130 L aquarium got the heater and little power had to make it flow .
What size of nest should I put in ????
I have two acrylic boxes with dimensions - w 13.5 D 27 H 15.5
Is that enough or should I go for something bigger ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:11 pm

That size will be fine if you connect the 2 tanks together with tubing but won't last long I imagine
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:17 pm

The container above, have you checked the sealant used to join the container together? I've found these have fallen apart when damp before!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:24 pm

I'd be surprised if it fell apart when damp as silicone is water resistant, where is this tank from Magic?

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Formica123 wrote:That size will be fine if you connect the 2 tanks together with tubing but won't last long I imagine
I think ill go for something bigger . thanks :)
what is the right size I supposed to look for ?

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:32 pm

deansie26 wrote:I'd be surprised if it fell apart when damp as silicone is water resistant, where is this tank from Magic?
Its from Japanese shop Muji . I don't really know what they used to glue it together . it looks very solid but maybe that is not the best choice

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 pm

I bought one that was glued, when it got damp it fell apart like a pack of cards, but as Dean said, you could add some sealant up the seams, that's stuff is waterproof!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Britishants.com wrote:I bought one that was glued, when it got damp it fell apart like a pack of cards, but as Dean said, you could add some sealant up the seams, that's stuff is waterproof!
Sorry I didn't realise you had bought one Sean, handy man to have about. You must of spent a bit on trialing these things!

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Britishants.com wrote:I bought one that was glued, when it got damp it fell apart like a pack of cards, but as Dean said, you could add some sealant up the seams, that's stuff is waterproof!
I would as I really like the boxes ,they look very smart and professional but now i think it can be too small . even tho that will be not the final product I need to think about something bigger