Jacks Final Gambit Atta Setup

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Shamual
Pupa

Re: Jacks Final Gambit Atta Setup

Post by Shamual » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Cheers I really appriciate it "Dave" :lol:

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Shamual wrote:Cheers I really appriciate it "Dave" :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Jack no one would make fun on this forum Like formica saidand I don't think the members wouldn't stand for that behaviour, its a learning place and mistakes is how we learn. I used an exo like you so I know exactly the problem, I went down the silicone route but its a nightmare. So if they where escaping they must have been doing ok? Did the fungus just shrink down? How did you heat it? was the nest and foraging all in the exo?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 pm

deansie26 wrote:Jack no one would make fun on this forum Like formica said, the members wouldn't stand for that behaviour, its a learning place and mistakes is how we learn. I used an exo like you so I know exactly the problem, I went down the silicone route but its a nightmare. So if they where escaping they must have been doing ok? Did the fungus just shrink down?
There was one funny story he told me though.
Once a worker escaped and cut a leaf out of his house plant :lol: he sent me a picture of it lol

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:32 pm

yes one of my plants has a nice leaf cutter shaped hole in it now. :D I keep it as a memory.

The waste fungus and feeding were all in the nano, but it was 1/4 full of soil so I was hoping they'd sort it out. And the colony although very good was still quite small. The fungus was nearly the size of a golf ball. They did pretty well for the first couple of weeks. The cut leaves and petals and were generally ok. But one day the fungus just upped and died. And by that I mean they ceased foraging that day and within about 24 hours the workers were taking the remaining scraps of fungus to their little waste bit.

When I cleaned the tank out I found the queen in pieces. Pretty grim.

It was heated by a heat mat under the gravel. But it was never on because the soil tended to get way too hot and not register on the thermometer which was about half way up the tank.

The problem was that there was a lot of time for me to act and I didn't. I was too preoccupied to notice. And my stupidity cost me the colony.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:48 pm

To help Jack deal with his loss:

(He asked me too) :lol:

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:12 pm

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it as sometimes you can only recognise things after you have experienced them. Your set up didn't sound bad to be honest, I'm surprised they just died as they can usually go on sub-optimally for a time. This is when you have a chance to intervene.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Haha that's great Marco. I'm gonna make a tombstone and put that picture as the epitaph.

And I know we all make mistakes, and if I'm honest if they had worked then I wouldn't that's looked into it in as nearly as much detail about their care. So I'm hoping that this is a blessing in disguise.

Irish
Larva

Post by Irish » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:33 am

Really nice setup! Very clean and goes really well on that table

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

As RichardP suggested, I've just ordered some "lips" for the dump and outworld. I will cover the 3 sets of lips with paraffin oil. As an escape prevention, because I can almost guarantee that 1 day with them and that mesh, and I'll be looking for them around the house lol.

Also I've located a spotted laurel plant in a pot on my driveway, it's been there for years but I never noticed it! So that will be their main diet supplement. Tempted to move it inside to stop little buggies from the uk taking a nibble.

I'm returning to school soon and will not have a lot of time in my hands. But the pipe is connected now and all that's left to do is cut a couple of holes in the top white circle plastic thing for the thermometer and hygrometer.

Then i shall order the ants, and begin my wonderful journey.