Jacks Final Gambit Atta Setup

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Shamual
Pupa

Re: Jacks Final Gambit Atta Setup

Post by Shamual » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Thanks for the compliments!
I assume the middle chamber is the feeding station? I can see that you have the removable lid and glass frame that sits just underneath which when oiled will allow opening and closing without being attacked.
Actually thats the nesting chamber. As it was the only way to make that tank air tight. Although it sounds like a good idea, I know what you're talking about, in a sense you could create a slippery lip, I might even order a 30x20 lip for the out world since the vented lip will still fit over the top. Nice idea! you've inspired me to spend more money xD

The good think about the glass table is that it has metal legs and black glass. Meaning that its very heat conductive but less so than just metal. So it will take a while to heat up or cool down so if something goes wrong ill have a precious few hours to correct it.

Im going to buy a large heat matt to cover the majority of the second layer of glass, so that the whole table gets heated evenly. and im insistant that the heat mat must be black to not disturb the look. Now ive just got to find black coloured blue-tac to secure it down. :lol:

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Looking really good Jack, no expense spared by the looks of it. Is really nice and clean as Richard mentioned. When do you think it will have ants in it now?

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:37 pm

Aaaah, the feeding station being on the left would make more sense. Great idea with the heat mat.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Luckily I had everything else. I only had to buy the tanks. Which although are expensive. Are very nice.

Erm. Im not sure when im going to be receiving the ants, as I have a few things to decide yet. (I'm still having doubts on buying atta, I may buy acros instead)
and the temperature in my area at the moment scares me also.
But it will be before the summer, and in the mean time im going to setup a little garden of the plants they like.

I've lost one colony to me not being prepared enough. And im trying to make sure im prepared for everything this time round.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Could you tell us what happened with the previous colony Jack if you don't mind? What kind of set up did you try and was it Atta?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:55 pm

He used an exo terra nano. And it was Acromymrex ^
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 pm

And? soil, heat mat, position.....

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:29 pm

He used peat I believe

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks Formica.

I'll tell you but please don't make fun. I've learnt a lot since then and this new setup was the result of months of painstaking research to make sure that I avenge the colony that fell because of me.

I used a exoterra nano which is a bad idea because the gaps between the walls and doors are far to large, a lot of workers escaped. This was so bad that I literally had to tape the doors shut every night.

The bottom layer was aquarium gravel, covered with a layer of a sort of plantation soil. It had dirt mixed with an organic matter. Any water instantly drained to the bottom of the gravel where the ants dug to and because the gravel was polished and not porous, it pretty much flooded them every time I watered them.

The species I had was acromymex octospinosus. From British ants. It was actually a really good colony. Fair amount of fungus lots of workers, brood and a healthy queen, which is one of the reasons why I feel so bad.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Shamual wrote:Thanks Formica.

I'll tell you but please don't make fun. I've learnt a lot since then and this new setup was the result of months of painstaking research to make sure that I avenge the colony that fell because of me.

I used a exoterra nano which is a bad idea because the gaps between the walls and doors are far to large, a lot of workers escaped. This was so bad that I literally had to tape the doors shut every night.

The bottom layer was aquarium gravel, covered with a layer of a sort of plantation soil. It had dirt mixed with an organic matter. Any water instantly drained to the bottom of the gravel where the ants dug to and because the gravel was polished and not porous, it pretty much flooded them every time I watered them.

The species I had was acromymex octospinosus. From British ants. It was actually a really good colony. Fair amount of fungus lots of workers, brood and a healthy queen, which is one of the reasons why I feel so bad.
Don't worry, nobody here will Make fun :)
I think all of us on this forum have learned from our mistakes at one point or another - especially me :?

I wish you luck with your new colony :D