Deansie's Acromyrmex cupboard build

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Atta solider
Worker

Re: Deansie's Acromyrmex cupboard build

Post by Atta solider » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Yeah they been great for my colony that I've got 2 more on way :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Finally got it finished for the time being anyway, may have lost my kids under all the gaffer tape. Am kind of wishing I had let the Colby grow larger before moving as the table seems far away ha ha. Not convinced yet, until there cutting and adding I won't be happy ;)
Was the easiest rezoning of s colony I've ever done. Prefer more madness!

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Nice one.. what a great project... Is there much more to do?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 pm

RichardP wrote:Nice one.. what a great project... Is there much more to do?

Thanks Richard, I've added a second pod with all the stragglers and some leaves as I don't see them making it down to the table yet. Once the colony gets bigger Ill add a ladder of pipe from the top to the bottom against the back wall so they have a decent walk. I'm also going to change to oil in the moat so when they fall they die rather than make it to the side and up the walls which they will do lol. Sure there will be more problems as it goes. How are your plans going? not seen any updates with what you may do...

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Well there not making me very happy when I look at them, they have dumped a lot of fungus which isn't that unusual after a move but I would be more happy if I seen them cutting and adding more :evil: See how they go tomorrow, if I don't see more leave matter added Ill need to intervene, what that means I'm not quite sure yet lol. At least if I thought they where really failing I could revert to the trusted aquarium, lets hope not.

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:57 am

Looks awesome.
What is the little green box ?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 am

Magic wrote:Looks awesome.
Thanks magic,i t's one of my kids food tubs, hopefully the dumping chamber for a while one they get going.
I use so much stuff that's lying about my house its funny.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:48 pm

deansie26 wrote:How are your plans going? not seen any updates with what you may do...
Not much has changed to be honest on my project. The fungus continues to grow at a pace. I am still mulling over my expansion plans. I really want to create some nest pods outside of the aquarium and develop a sort of hybrid set up but I really don't know if the colony would propagate a fungus chamber so far from their aquarium "base".

I'll continue to watch other people's projects looking for a spark of inspiration. :geek:

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:37 pm

deansie26 wrote:
Magic wrote:Looks awesome.
Thanks magic,i t's one of my kids food tubs, hopefully the dumping chamber for a while one they get going.
I use so much stuff that's lying about my house its funny.
Richard, if it helps, the ants dont really care how far away from one fungus garden they are for another. The criteria is not proximity, its simply a need for more space and correct conditions in the chamber. The way to start things would be to move some of the fungus to the new chamber. They might return it to the nest or they may build it up.

Jamie, dont think you've got many worries there, doesnt sound like anything is wrong.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks Andrew, cutting makes me feel better when you do a new set up, sure most folk are the same. Hopefully they will get on it tomorrow.
Jamie