Deansie's Acromyrmex cupboard build

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Deansie26
Major

Re: Deansie's Acromyrmex cupboard build

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Heat box finished. Between the cable and the mat 25 degrees will be easily maintained all year.
Having two heating devieces also gives you added protection should one fail.
Would have liked a thinner piece of celotex for the panel but that's what I had in the garage.

Each shelf can hold 3 cylinders so potentially 6 gardens, its pretty easily expanded if I was luck enough to get that far.
Arriving this week are 3 cylinders, 3 discs for the lids, acrylic sheet for the front.

Image[/url[URL=http://s360.photobucket.com/user/deansie26/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0742_zpsbenciwm7.jpg.html]Image]

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Looking forward to seeing it in person. Whats the cupboard at the bottom for? And is feeding in a separate enclosure on the top? Where will the dump chamber be, in the cupboard? Just thinking, if anyone was interested I could bring back some commensals from a dump chamber in the wild for you to add to your dump chamber and let them breed in there. That would be an interesting experiment. It might become an optional extra sale for the ant dealers to sell a dump pack to add to the dump chamber. I think one fungus dump chamber would produce batches of these inverts which could be separated and ditributed to other keepers. I know when I set up Attas in public spaces there is often an information board about them being recyclers and the life in the fungus is an integral part of this. Just a thought

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:09 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Looking forward to seeing it in person. Whats the cupboard at the bottom for? And is feeding in a separate enclosure on the top? Where will the dump chamber be, in the cupboard? Just thinking, if anyone was interested I could bring back some commensals from a dump chamber in the wild for you to add to your dump chamber and let them breed in there. That would be an interesting experiment. It might become an optional extra sale for the ant dealers to sell a dump pack to add to the dump chamber. I think one fungus dump chamber would produce batches of these inverts which could be separated and ditributed to other keepers. I know when I set up Attas in public spaces there is often an information board about them being recyclers and the life in the fungus is an integral part of this. Just a thought
The left side which I've been working in is fungus only with the right hand one being feeding tank and hopefully dump tank area, was going to ask for your advice on that to be honest. What makes them use it apart from being lower? Small colonys just make a little pile next to the fungus bit than do they just move it? Funny I don't know that for certain.
Does the dump chamber have to be the same temperature as the gardens?
The commensals sounds interesting but I'm going to have to look them up as I don't know that term, is it springtails?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:17 pm

Dump chamber will be used if it is lower than the nest. They always dump at the lowest point. Temp in dump chamber not important as long as its over 20C. Commensals are organisms that live alongside the ants. They cause no harm, its a mutualistic relationship, both benefit and neither are harmed. There will be loads of different organisms from mites, microbes, beetle larvae, grubs, cockroaches, millipedes, spiders etc etc etc. Infact a whole food pyramid. With this lot there'll be more action in the dump than the nest!!!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks for your advice by there, more planning, this won't doned quick but hopefully with the finished unit I will be used as intended by the antps. How's your hotel room? Jacuzzi bath? Lol

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:29 pm

Im back from Germany now. Ants delivered, all good.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Had to have a day in the house as my lad is off ill, so an excuse to bore you with another short update.
The 3 cylinders arrived this morning, I was a bit dubious about what the clarity/distortion of the plastic was going to be like but I was very happy with them, drilling holes in them will be interesting.
An added bonus was the moulded base, I've used a glued acrylic box before and over time lots of hairline cracks appeared along the edges which I was never happy about, always expected a mass escape to happen at some point!

The distance is obviously short between the garden chambers, the distance between the fungus and foraging table will be a lot longer.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:49 pm

So this is in your garage Jamie? The cylinders look great. Good size. Looking forward to seeing your ideas on finishing off the display.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:So this is in your garage Jamie? The cylinders look great. Good size. Looking forward to seeing your ideas on finishing off the display.
No it's the "pantry" if you like, little storage cupboard just of the kitchen. I'm keeping this colony inside now so much easier and enjoyable.
Half the time I think I build of the cuff :p

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:22 pm

It looks fantastic. Congratulations. It'll be great to see it buzzing with ants.