Deansie's Acromyrmex cupboard build

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Deansie26
Major

Deansie's Acromyrmex cupboard build

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:47 pm

So instead of doing this build thread on my journal it will be going here, I really enjoy doing these as I'm sure most of you enjoy doing them also.
The bit that's annoying is when you done you find loads you wish you had done different :twisted:

Not much to see apart from shelves being cleared and taken down.
More pics tomorrow.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Deansies Acromyrmex colony No2

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:07 am

Nice Jamie, a good old fashioned build thread. Lovely!
Got a good few builds happening myself which I would normally have posted on RFUK or similar. Will be posting them here instead.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:02 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Nice Jamie, a good old fashioned build thread. Lovely!
Got a good few builds happening myself which I would normally have posted on RFUK or similar. Will be posting them here instead.
Can't beat a little project, I end up thinking about it all day long mind you!
RFUK will be gutted!! Lol. Your going to have loads of pics this year, Paraguay pics I'm looking forward to.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Here are the new led lights I picked up for the set up, they are really slim and will be fantastic when space is at a premiumImage.

I used celotex for the garage and it was amazing and held the temperature perfect no matter how cold it got, but it's expensive, I done think this level of insulation is required as the set up is in my house so I picked up this stuff called jablite, far cheaper and easier to work with.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:54 pm

What are you making mate ??

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:26 am

Atta solider wrote:What are you making mate ??

New set up for my Acromyrmex, that's one of the aspects of keeping leafcutter that I really like. I took of the shelves on both sides but think that was a bit hasty so will just be usingbthe right hand side till they need more space. My last garage set up would have lasted years ha ha, was massive!

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:38 am

Nice mate look forwud seeing the set up

Deansie26
Major

Re: Deansie's Acromyrmex cupboard build

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Well got a bit done tonight, feel I have the idea but fly by the seat of my pants, chop and change constantly.
Anyhoo, I started insulating the unit with the foam. Once this was done I fitted the two lights into position then covered the grey with silver insulation as it look better and will help hold temp bang on.

Heres a few pics up to now with lights on/ off etc.
Tomorrow ill be fitting the heating box and monitoring the temperatures over the next day of 2 while waiting for ant housing units to arrive with pipe work etc then Ill need to think about the foraging area to the right!! eeeek

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Looks interesting. Will it fly and what planet are you aiming it at. Watched Interstellar tonight again and saw something similar to that on there. I think it was for flying through black holes or something. Very space age.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:10 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Looks interesting. Will it fly and what planet are you aiming it at. Watched Interstellar tonight again and saw something similar to that on there. I think it was for flying through black holes or something. Very space age.
Won't fly yet but may in the future, aiming for planet Hollywood ha ha.
I thought intetsteller was great,

It will come together when everything arrives :)