The Zoolab Tropical Themed Zoo

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Magic
Pupa

Re: The Zoolab Party Room Project

Post by Magic » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

wow . Big project :) looking good , can't wait to seeing it finished

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:57 am

Fantastic to see you post, Magic. Thanks for the comments. I should have more tonight. Things will go very quickly from now on. We are right now starting the polythene sheeting for the rockwork. These projects can be transferred to smaller enclosures, the techniques are much the same. Looking forward to sharing this kind of job on this forum for the first time.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Today we moved things forward. The display to the right of the stage will be where the Leaf Cutting Ants feeding table will be located. Infront of this there will be columns and beams, made from Aztec stone.

The column on the other side of the stage is covered with polythene ready for the mesh to be added.

And the big, zoo style exhibits have polythene shaped over the offcuts of wood to start giving the appearance of rock shapes. This will become more apparent when we add the metal mesh, next.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:49 pm

deansie26 wrote:Fantastic! the CAD designs are intetesting to see prior to the construction, looks like it will be great for kids party's, maybe mine :D
Your build threads must be hard to beat anywhere.
As amazing as it is I'd rather do the ant collecting Richard lol.
As I understand it's building all these great displays AND going off ant collecting.. Win Win...

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:47 pm

I would love to see it live when is finished .
Seeing it in progress encourages me to move forward faster with my own project and finally get my colony :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:06 am

RichardP wrote:
deansie26 wrote:Fantastic! the CAD designs are intetesting to see prior to the construction, looks like it will be great for kids party's, maybe mine :D
Your build threads must be hard to beat anywhere.
As amazing as it is I'd rather do the ant collecting Richard lol.
As I understand it's building all these great displays AND going off ant collecting.. Win Win...
Richard, actually these builds are not so much to do with animals as they are with building. Most of the jobs we do end just as the animals (the fun part) arrive. We generally do not get to see much of them in their new homes. And the ant collecting mainly involves travelling for ages and then stressing over customs, agents, security, permits, logistics etc etc. On each trip I'd say it is roughly 40% collecting and 60% admin, organisation and hassle. Not trying to play it down, I wouldnt do anything else but I am going to Australia and Korea first two weeks in March to collect green weaver ants and the trip will be defined not by whether I can find and collect the ants but whether I can get them shipped to the client. It is very exhausting and not at all easy. And.... like an assassin, you are only as good as your last job. I get used by clients around the world because I can always get the animals, design and build the enclosures and NEVER let them down. One bad job and the industry is so small that everyone knows and suddenly theres no work!

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Well, I admire your wholehearted commitment to the cause and, of course, dealing with all the downsides so that I don't have to in order to have a colony of one of the world's most fascinating species :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:53 pm

Andrew where is this place? Sorry if its on the thread

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Its in Larbert, at Torwood Garden Centre. We have a huge new building there and we are moving our head office there end March. I will also be moving my other company, Tropical House Ltd there.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Trying to upload todays pictures but Photobucket appears to be in maintenance mode so cant get access. Will check later and post what I've got.