Bitterlime's Acromyrmex octospinosis colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Bitterlime
Minim

Re: Bitterlime's Acromyrmex octospinosis colony

Post by Bitterlime » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:39 pm

:) I will try some different types then!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:41 pm

Sorry the pictures are not good! My colony is doing well, there are a lot more ants running about and they are frequently demolishing lots of leaves. :) The setup is not the best but it works! I am planning on changing the setup sometime in the future!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:48 am

Hi Eloise, good your colony is doing well.I would allow the soil to dry a little. Seems very wet. That might lead to a population explosion of the mites. Otherwise looks great.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:42 pm

I was worried the vitopod was drying out the soil, So I guess I went a little overboard when wetting the soil! :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Just keep an eye on it.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:06 pm

Hello, I apologise for not posting anything in ages!!! Preperation for my mocks has sadly taken over my life :cry:

There are loads more ants running about now, the colony has definitely expanded! I offered them another tub of soil, in case they wanted more space, but instead they decided to make my life more difficult and take soil from the second tub and pile it up on the first tub, they create a mountain of soil which reaches the lid of the vitopod and I'm scared that they will escape from the vitiopod and seek to make their home elsewhere! They consume large amounts of leaves quite quickly! But apart from causing me problems they are still amazing and fascinating little creatures.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:56 pm

I got a bigger vitopod yesterday!

I set it up today and moved my colony in

I put the small tub that they are in, into a bigger tub and I'm hoping that they will move into the bigger tub instead of piling up the soil!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:44 am

Looks great Eloise, like the look of those vitopods. No mass escapes yet?

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 am

Deansie26 wrote:Looks great Eloise, like the look of those vitopods. No mass escapes yet?
Thank you Jamie! Not had any mass escapes yet, but I forgot to feed them one night and In the morning, because the level of the water in the vitopod was low they had managed to form a short trail across the gravel and out one of the side vents. I found them trying to cut a dead lettuce plant that was on top of a draw next to the vitopod. I managed to get them all back in, but I have learnt my lesson, never forget to feed them! :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Looking good :) Has the soil dried out a bit now from how it was. And do you loose many from drowning ?