Jimi's new Atta colony Yay

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Deansie26
Major

Re: Jimi's new Atta colony Yay

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Jim I don't know all the names of the leaves there but mine wont take any of them, maple, horsefield, Ivy etc.
I' wouldn't drop little pieces on the fungus unless you know there a favourite. Google privet, its just your common house hedge and willow herb is all over at the minute if you Google an image.

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:43 pm

ok will do, they where a favourite of my last colony (strawberry leafs) :)

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:47 pm

22/08/2016

great news :D with the leafs that where sprinkled on the fungus the ants have made new grey areas on the fungus but have still not yet cut any leafs, I have added privet leafs but they have ignored it :cry: probably just a mater of time until they cut! They have started to make even more dirt balls hopefully they will start to make little cute dirt walls.

Also new names hahaha my queen is now called Raven (I love that name) And the colony will be called leaf tribe :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:55 pm

23/08/2018

HI guys even more fantastic news on leaf tribe, the grey areas of the fungus has tripled in size and also they cut there first leaf and I got it on video, now I don't know how to put it on here so ill link it to my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIoaFE5zJ1I

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:53 pm

A huge sense of relief i'm sure, well done :) So what plans do you have for expansion ?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 am

Nice area of dark on the fungus. Good to see there is activity. I would say your fungus is a little bit exposed. Again I recommend you add a couple of spoonfuls of peat / substrate alongside the fungus so they can modify the area and control the airflow etc. If everything is perfect then there is no worry, its just you should be cautious at the start that any problems may lead to a rapid decline due to the small amount of fungus.

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:43 pm

yes huge relief hahaha im honestly not sure about expansion well I've got a few months to figure that out :lol: :lol:

is compost ok? coz I don't have any peat available, I have added peat to the other group of atta ants and they are fine I added the compost to them about 2 days ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24/8/2016

the fungus has probably near doubled in size since yesterday, about 8 more pieces of leafs have been cut. :D im so proud of leaf tribe and raven I hope to see some eggs soon :lol: :lol:

but today has been a very hot day today (30c) (outside temp) so I turned the heater off and the temp in there has risen to 27c (no higher) so not at dangerous levels yet,

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Compost is fine. Those pictures show real development.

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:54 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------
27/8/16
Hi guys not much to update on they are continuing to cut leafs and expand there little fungus garden, raven (queen) is doing her thing which is nothing :lol: I hope to see her pooping some eggs soon. :D

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Jimi, dont get into Marcos mind set and start looking for eggs. Eggs are the most unreliable indication of well being, if everything is good the eggs will come, most of the time you will not spot them until you see brood.