Vendayn's Acromyrmex versicolor journal

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Vendayn's Acromyrmex versicolor journal

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:47 pm

Some interesting stuff there Vendayn.
Recently had my Acro octospinosus taking crickets. I have some pics of them cutting up a cricket and removing it back to their nest. Probably not to eat, more likely to use as food for fungus.
No idea why they go right and not left but there will be a reason. You should try and work it out!
Any suggestions as to how to reach new members on your side of the pond would be very much welcomed. More contributors would be great!

Vendayn
Larva

Post by Vendayn » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:24 am

I'm not sure. There are a bunch of ant forums (at least last I checked), a facebook ant group and a reddit one. So that alone, most people kinda have their ant place chosen already. On top of that, there aren't really many people in the US that keep Leafcutter ants, its very rare. Most ant keepers here have a much harder time getting colony(ies) of them compared to you guys in Europe who can just buy them. Maybe the people living down in South America could be ant groups and they'd be likely to keep Leafcutter ants, but I'm not part of them.

But, I do have lots of pictures. Plus my colony has two (I only got good pictures of one though) HUGE larvae. A quarter the size of the queen, about half the width. Bigger larvae than my Pogonomyrmex rugosus colony have (and they are big ants). Going to be huge workers!

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/ ... 12-09-2016

My photobucket album for the pictures I took today.

Vendayn
Larva

Post by Vendayn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:52 am

More pictures :)

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/ ... 2012-12-16

The colony is growing like crazy. I can look every 2-3 days, and notice a very large increase in ants, and always tons more fungus. They are starting to grow as fast as my Solenopsis invicta did.

You can kinda tell in the pictures, way more ants than when I last took them (and that was only three days ago!)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Just seeing this now!!! Sorry I have not looked in the journal section for ages. Fantastic update and absolutely true what you say about the growth rate. Once a colony starts to expand it is exponential and dramatic. I often get comment s from customers at the beginning about the lack of ants and activity and my reply is always "wait for a bit and then tell me there are not enough ants". They never complain after a short time!! Well done on the pics and progress. Please keep us updated, I will look out for more posts! Andrew

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Amazing! they look to have really taken off. Also missed your post-slipped under the radar!