Magic's Acromyrmex journey

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Magic's Acromyrmex journey

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Magic, hi, looking at your pictures I'd say that whatever probs you have been experiencing are being addressed now and the ants are growing the fungus. I think if I was in your situation I would be inclined to add substrate. With available substrate the ants can affect the architecture of their environment and put into practice their own solutions to air flow, dessication, ventillation etc etc. I always revert to the ants for help when there is a problem with their nest which is difficult to pin down. You can rest assured it will be something almost impossible for us to detect like air flow or something obscure but to the ants it will be screwing up their lives. For them to break apart the fungus garden is a sign that they are reacting to a problem. Not finding this problem is actually not the end of the world if they can fix it themselves. Great to see you back, you should stick around for the crack after your ants are running well again.

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:06 pm

You're right Andrew . I Need to come here more often.
Last week the heating system in my old set up just burned out . It was difficult to fix it and I moved the ants to the aquarium set up. It seems like they like it a lot and the fungus changing shape and colour for a lot nicer. The ants started to build something around the fungus some of construction from the topsoil.
Everything seems to be fine and I'm really happy with the set up works for them but it looks like loads of them has drown in the water. I have done some recovery box and putting The drowning ants to it . Some of them back to life but loads of them died. Is that's normal with this kind of set up or maybe I can do something to change it?
The set up is just primitive for now and I'm going to do something nicer taking some advice from Richard as I absolutely love his aquarium setup .

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Magic, Richard has a fantastic setup. The advice from him will help a lot I am sure. Yes I noticed your pictures show a healthier state of affairs than before. Keep us posted.

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:19 pm

The ants have built a big construction and moved the fungus underground.
Can't see properly what they do but looks like they are happy there

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 pm

Always good when the ants take over the management of their fungus. Moving it around means the ants have got the fungus in the perfect location within your setup. So good news if a little frustrating that it is not as visible as before. I would leave them alone and let them get on with it.