Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
reevey
Pupa

Re: Reevey Aquarium setup

Post by reevey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:00 pm

hi temp at fungus is 23.5 which is in the t piece that's joined to the tub temp in tub is 25 with 99% humidity they have not cut anything yet
not looking good

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:11 pm

Think that tub needs to be darker, they need to be enticed out of the tube.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Are they tending to the fungus, as in are they on it? Have they made a waste pile anywhere?
What leaves have you got in there? I'd make sure you have privet.

I did wonder if that paper would make the tubs dark Steve are Andys says.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:08 am

hi have changed to black bin bags now so should be nice and dark have added pictures below
I can just see some ants on the fungus I have added rose petal and rose leaf and privet and grape and orange peel just to see if they want a choice

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:36 am

Nice work, what you going to do long term? Take it black bags isn't a permanent feature, maybe panels on the tank or something.
Let us know if they cut leaves.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Fungus looks a bit beaten up from trip. (Sean did you put a heat pack in there?)
Should be fine, fungus is alive and humidity looks great. Acros can take a while to start feeding but if they have carried the fungus then you shouldnt worry. I would think you should stick with Privet leaves, fresh every day, until they start feeding. Also offer some orange peel and put a grape in every second day. Once they start cutting you can start cycling through the standard lists of food. Let us know daily the status of your colony. At this stage 24 hours is a life time. If they havent cut in next 48 hours we need to look at other measures but for now I'd pretty much let them settle.
Cheeky git! yes I did put a heat pack in there @Uncle Bob! 30 hour one at that not one of those 20 hour cheap things you send me! lol I do think this set up is far to moist! I'm going to put my neck on the line and say no set up should be 100% and a safe level for Acros is 85%-95% and Atta (90%-98%) Only aquatic plants should have 100% it's hard to tell how wet it is after it hits 100%

PS As for the light, they have been kept in a fairly well lit environment here at BA HQ!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:53 pm

PS As for the light, they have been kept in a fairly well lit environment here at BA HQ!
There are no darker areas for them to move to in how you keep them though Sean ;)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:46 pm

Britishants.com wrote:I'm going to put my neck on the line and say no set up should be 100% and a safe level for Acros is 85%-95% and Atta (90%-98%)
I completely agree with that. Good point, Sean.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:50 am

It's realising visible water doesn't equal humidity, my units look almost dry but the ants are doing well.
Tricky for a new keeper.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:33 am

hi small update yesterday i cleaned out all the very wet peat and replaced with a lot dryer peat. i have put a small tub with hole cut in the side in the main tub with the new peat just incase it was to open in there for them.
the hunitiy is at about 93% so a lot better, I still have it blacked out as well. I got up this morning and no change they still in the tee piece that joins the main tub.
am getting very worried now as not a lot of cutting going on just an odd piece now and again
heres a picture of main tub with new peat and small tub in the condensation is on the outside of the tub.