Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Deansie26
Major

Re: Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 am

Any updates Stevie?

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:37 am

hi guys they have nearly filled the small tub but it is very slow can any1 tell me if they should be faster than this or is it about right. they are cutting they seem to have got fed up with privet and have moved on to greens which I have loads of as that's what my iggy eats.so much the same really.
thanks reevey

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Steve, are you feeding the same thing constanstantly or do you change it up? Have you tried almond flakes?
I wouldn't be concerned over the speed of things as long as the fungus is getting bigger.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Steve, my Iggy used to only eat salad stuff which my Acro's don't seem to be so fond of. Privet is right down the list of preferred foods. My Acro's really enjoy Rose petals/leaves Ash and Bramble. Also gave them a whole Almond nut ( shelled ) which took 2 days before they even looked at it then devoured it. It came straight out of the xmas nuts we forgot to eat ourselves. Offer them a choice and change foods before they get fed up. Glad they are doing ok now :)

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:42 am

thanks for the suggestions will def try them out

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:07 am

Andyj wrote:Steve, my Iggy used to only eat salad stuff which my Acro's don't seem to be so fond of. Privet is right down the list of preferred foods. My Acro's really enjoy Rose petals/leaves Ash and Bramble. Also gave them a whole Almond nut ( shelled ) which took 2 days before they even looked at it then devoured it. It came straight out of the xmas nuts we forgot to eat ourselves. Offer them a choice and change foods before they get fed up. Glad they are doing ok now :)
Ash is a good shout that I hadn't heard before. I've loads of it round me and I've been supplying it for the last few days since I saw this post and the ants love it.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:33 pm

The problem with Ash is that its the last to arrive and first to go. A good subject for freezing perhaps.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:49 am

hi small update they still loving the greens but have put some bramble leaf in with them and they are loving it will have to look out for some ash leafs as well
thanks steve

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:00 pm

What do you mean by greens Steve?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:03 pm

If you can access privet, thats the one for me. As Andy has found, often some colonies have personal taste and dont like some of the normally favourite foods. But that is rare. When I get around 200 colonies of leaf cutters in and feed them a leaf, such as privet, they all eat. I would suggest that if you try Provet or any other favoured leaf, and the ants ignore it then its likely a problem with the plant and the ants are trying to tell you something. Get the same leaf from a different source and I am sure they will take it.