Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
reevey
Pupa

Re: Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Post by reevey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi guys here an update on whats been going on the last few days. I have done as Andrew said got two small tubs one with dry peat in it and one with wet peat in it and put them in to the tank on the glass. then i have lifted the big tub lid off that the ants had made there home on and removed the big tub from underneath the tub and put the big lid on the glass with the two small tubs next to it, and left them. guess what the ants have setup home in the small damp tub and have taken there tiny bit of fungus with them. and then they have filled the small gap where the lid is with peat and left a small hole for them to get in and out of.Things looking up for once since I have got them trouble is I have to keep checking them and make sure they are still there lol.. I have then taken one of the two small fungus tubs that Andrew has kindly sent me. and put it in the main tank on the glass next to the ants new nest for them to raid. And by this morning the fungus had all gone from the small tub so hopefully they took it to there new nest and added it to there fungus as I cant see it anywhere else.

Thanks to Andrew for all the help and fungus he sent me

here are a few pictures.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Great news.. nice job.

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:29 pm

good to hear mate :D
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 am

morning another update and a few pictures I put in the other small tub of fungus yesterday, and by this morning it had all gone and they have build a door way in the small tub they are living in. so things are looking good. Hope it keeps like this... I have seen an odd one or two ants with a bit of leaf so hopefully that's the start of some cutting. I'm feeling a lot happier now I haven't worried so much in years lol.
heres some more pictures u can see where they have filed the gap in the tub with peat.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 am

Just as a matter of interest, did you use your original compost?

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:53 am

hi no m8 got that John innes one just in case it was the peat

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Looking good Steve, glad things are looking up!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:02 pm

So now you need to know that they are adding leaves. I would place leaves close to the pot and if you can see any detail through the tub sides then monitor colour and size of fungus. If you cant then in a couple of days, following some cutting, lift the lid and peek in, just the once, so then you'll know.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 pm

reevey wrote:hi no m8 got that John innes one just in case it was the peat
When i was looking into the compost you used first, quite a few people on gardening forums were giving mixed results of it's growing potential with a few complaining of finding shredded plastics and tin foil amongst it. I have never been easy using agricultural composts with any of my critters because you never really know what has been added to it. I decided to try John Innes with my LCA's because others here have and i have had no problems. The strange thing is that i used it with my Tarantula and she will not walk on it, at all. She has stood on top of her Cork log for two weeks now which is very strange. Maybe it's like one LCA colony liking a certain plant and another colony not who knows ?

Anyway things are looking up for you now and we can compare sizes like the big boys :)

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:55 am

yeh that would be good can any1 tell me what the grape and orange peel test is please