Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Deansie26
Major

Re: Reevey Aquarium setup

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Balls then peat will be fine. I'd put a few leave right beside the fungus when you put them in initially then the adjacent one if you can would be good as it doesn't disturb the conditions around the fungus.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:01 pm

hi guys an update have put clay ball and peat in one tub and all lids on the tubs am waiting to see what humidity and temp will be. what would you recommend I have heater set at 30.
here are a few pictures

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi Steve, depends on your heater wattage, amount of water etc. Set it to 30 and see what that translates to inside the fungus tubs and adjust from there. Be careful not to make the peat/clay balls to wet. Looking like a tidy set up.

Yours and Richards set ups are interesting in that your not really utilising the the humidity being given off from the heated aquarium water for the fungus because you have sealed tubs, really it's for the temperature only.
Where as an island set up where one side is a filled cube of soil for example would be open top and use the humidity.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:04 pm

hi guys I have 99% humidity and 25 temp do you think temp is a bit high temp is from right on the peat
what do you think

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Bang on! So long as the temperature does not go any higher than that.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Deansie26 wrote:Yours and Richards set ups are interesting in that your not really utilising the the humidity being given off from the heated aquarium water for the fungus because you have sealed tubs, really it's for the temperature only.
My nest boxes are open to the aquarium atmosphere. They are 10*10*20cm glass boxes with two 27mm holes at each end. I then leave it to the ants to open or close those holes as they wish which I facilitate by including soil in the nest.

I would recommend having the nests open to the atmosphere if possible because one of the advantages of an aquarium is obviously the constant, unerring humidity .. But, this will mean that they can dump in the tank and generally roam about. They will also fall in the water and be washed up on the inside which can be a bit disconcerting. Prof. Adam Hart's setup included some washing up liquid in the water to make any stray ants sink rather than float across.

I have about 5 ants a week I have to rescue from the inside wall of the aquarium. They generally walk around the water line trying to get home, all fairly harmless. But the other day I found a soldier on the top rim of the tank.. giving it loads of attitude.. just stood there.. guarding the tank. It didn't even flinch. I regret not taking a picture for my build thread to be honest but I was just like let's get this fella out of view before my wife calls an untimely halt to my hobby.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:50 pm

I beg your pardon Richard, I was just thinking lids but you are right. Forgot your tank has open holes.
It's a shame but to utilise the humidity some how as Richards says.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:57 am

hi received my Acromyrmex Octospinosis ants yesterday from sean at British ants a few pictures of opening delivery

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:05 am

update ants added to setup some more pictures they seemed to have settled in
picture of her ladyship in first picture

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 am

hi got up this morning and they have decided to move into the tubing that is joined to the tub I put them in obviously there is no cutting as they moving house
heres a few more pictures