Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
reevey
Pupa

Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Post by reevey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi, I thought I'd start a journal about my setup and the development of it.
I am going to use a 100x40x30 fish tank and have another exactly the same for overflow if I need to expand the setup
I am going to use water in the bottom of the tank heated by fish tank heater.as its a tried and tested way so should keep everything right hopefully.
And am going to be using 23x17x14 tubs connected with 2 and half cm clear tubing
Heres the tank and some tubs and bits I have to start with

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Reevey Aquarium setup

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Reevey, great to see your thread and your project started.
I would consider at this stage swapping the plastic containers you are planning to use for completely clear ones, Jamie has a source of them but there are loads on the market and they are equally as cheap. Its just that the whole time you are looking at your nest, which could cover a period of years, you'll wish you had clear tubs to see the details of the action of the fungus. Otherwise, everything looks good. I like the second backup tank. Suggests you have major size ambitions!!

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:42 pm

Love it... Look at all that kit! I look forward to seeing it transformed.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:45 pm

What are you going to use the half full cola bottle for? :twisted:

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Great to see you started a thread Stevie, if you can I'd go with Andrew's advice on the transparent acrylic. You will be glad you did later.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies mine is a bit of a rip off of your RichardP hope you don't mind.
yeh the tubes am on a budget and already had them I understand what you have said but am quite happy with them,keep the info and ideas coming please

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:08 pm

hi guys heres an update have been busy bee have got tank all setup with water and heater and pump, thought I would try to get it up to temp, still have some pipe work to add to go to the outworld and the trash here are some pictures.

reevey

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:27 pm

That looks really smart Steve, are you going to put lids on the tubs?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Looks good. I would be inclined to feed in the other tank to start with and then connect up the feeding area when they have grown. That way you will have more control of them and the conditions they are in.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:13 am

hi yeh I have lids with vents on them to go on the tubs and a plastic lid to go on the tank.
how far away do you think I should be feeding them to start with maybe the next tub I all so have clay balls to go in the bottom of the tubs and then put peat on top of that.