Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
reevey
Pupa

Re: Reevey Acromyrmex Aquarium setup

Post by reevey » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:02 pm

no m8 just now and again they are not happy that I took there lids off stopped cutting for a day.
would like to put them in big tub. would you half fill it with peat then just put the tubs they are in straight into it and take lids off or leave them on what do you think.
any suggestions
thanks steve

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:48 pm

I wouldn't move them from the small tubs merely put a large one along side. Half filled with moist peat sounds good.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 am

Deansie26 wrote:I wouldn't move them from the small tubs merely put a large one along side. Half filled with moist peat sounds good.
Hi Reevey, good to see you again. Jamies suggestion is exactly what I would do. The small tubs are not ideal, in such a small enclosure the environment can change very quickly from good to bad. You really need the fungus in a container that can act as a buffer against any such problems. And peat / compost in the tub protects the fungus from sudden changes in any of the important parameters. It also stores heat and humidity which keeps the fungus stable. Well done for getting them this far, they look great!

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:32 pm

hi guys small update
I put in a big tub half full with peat and they where straight in there digging holes and then started to empty the 2 small tubs that they where in and by the next morning fungus had all be moved to the new tub.
they then went on a mad cutting craze for a few days. they have settled down now and seem to be happy

cheers steve

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:36 am

Hows things with your colony, Reevey? Would love to hear how its going.