AndyJ's Buggery room

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: AndyJ's Buggery room

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Andyj wrote:Thanks, that's reassuring. I was thinking of things like dried fruits and flaked almonds. Are sprouts available in July? i really can't remember.
Good thinking, get them now and freeze them. Or use a cabbage. Or plant some privet in pots.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:18 pm

In asda I think we are planning to sell them all year. However they are not organic.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 pm

It's going to quite a challenge deciding what's safe to use. Looks like i'm going to have to learn how to be a gardener. So to all the people who know about sprouts do you have to blanch them before freezing ?

I'm pretty much done with the build. I'm just waiting for the perspex to arrive for the bottom window and then make a feeding station. It's going to be moat based but until/if the colony grows feeding will be from the third "pod" I'm a bit disappointed with humidity though hovering around 92% but with only a small amount of mist on the front and no dribbles. Oh and i have decided to go for Acro's :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Sprouts are available all year Andy, great choice with the Acromyrmex!!!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:53 pm

So i have been fannying around all week with my hygrometer struggling to get humidity past 95% and staying there, so today i tried another hygrometer and it shot up to 99% and stayed there easy. So which ones working. Must be the one showing 99% :) The fan is redundant now as it just something that could break down and cause a problem. I will utilise it for cooling should i need it, tomorrow i will probably change my mind again. :roll: I finished the tubing in the upper deck and raised the pods from the heat mat a couple more inches which seem to have calmed the condensation down some what.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi, forgot to ask. I have 3 pods is there a specific order for which to put the fungus waste and feeding areas at ? Also for acros, i have clay balls and want to put a couple cm's of soil on top. Would that be ok please.? I was looking for john innes no 9 but cant see it anywhere Only 1 2 and 3.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Hey Andy, clays balls then soil is fine. The order is not as important as the height difference between the fungus and waste chambers, they will want to dump at the lowest point. I'm really discovering just how strong this instinct is in my own set up at the minute.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Jamie, not much else i can do now as everything is stable, just needs some Ants in :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 pm

So i have raised the pods about four inches from the bottom heat mat which seems to have equalised the temps inside and outside the pod resulting in much less condensation. I have started the tubing down to the main feeding area which will be on a float or should i say an island surrounded by olive oil. Olive oil So i have raised the pods about four inches from the bottom heat mat which seems to have equalised the temps inside and outside the pod resulting in much less condensation. I have started the tubing down to the main feeding area which will be on a float or should i say an island surrounded by olive oil. Olive oil because i don't think this will evaporate. I have also made another moat just half way down from the bottom of the tube to stop any ants climbing back up the outside of the tube ( thanks Jamie ) and escaping. This will need some fiddling with when i see it live. I have already decided to make the moat deeper when i find a suitable container. This will all be closed until the ants have hopefully settled in.

Next pic just demonstrating how the pods are suspended on the egg crate which allows heat to go through. It's raised on four inch cut drain pipes.

Not quite finished still waiting for the perpex for the bottom section.

Sorry if i have repeated me anywhere i get a bit excited :oops: It's the larger honest :roll:

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:38 pm

I wish I could spend some time playing in your buggery, Andy!
Set up looks interesting, really smart pictures and ideas.
Nice fresh approach. Be great when ants are in.