AndyJ's Buggery room

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Magic
Pupa

Re: AndyJ's Buggery room

Post by Magic » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Lol. Not giong to name mine .
Got my colony for a week now and I haven't had the chance to see the queen yet .

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Postie been yet Andy? :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Yes woop woop, arrived just after 9 am this morning and have been sat on my mums table until i can get them home and unpack them. Just like to say a big thank you to Sean for being very reliable and saying they will arrive when they did, unlike some ants from Germany that were also supposed to arrive today and didn't grrrrrrrr.

I will do a full report when iv'e finished picking them out of the bath and rubbed in all the TCP from bites. :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Well the box arrived in perfect condition and was well packed using bubble wrap and a heat pack that was still nice and warm. I was a bit anxious as to how to go about getting the ants into their new home so i put the pod in a small bowl of water and opened the containing tub. I was expecting a mass exodus but they all seemed pretty calm apart from one that was trying to chew my knuckle off, but i'm 'ard and it didn't hurt :mrgreen: So because the fungus was just dust, well the postie was a women driver,,,, i could only tip in the contents out. Only one ant was taking a swim, picked her up and placed her with her sisters then closed the lid. Simple. Thanks to http://www.Britishants.com
Turned the light off, blocked off the two connecting tubes and left them to rebuild and settle in. Tomorrow i will reconnect the tubes as i have given them another option as to where they can settle. I just put a bit of soil in the waste pod, but it's nice to have the choice.

Doh!!! forgot to take the tissue out.....

Finally the perspex arrived for the bottom section so tomorrow i will finish that off.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Fantastic Andy, I'd personally think of covering at least 80% of that vent to start with. Will just be to much ventilation and they can't reduce it.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Pleasure :) what Sean said about the vent blocking is on point until the fungus has doubled!
Sean

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Yea, iv'e got a 2p piece covering most of the vent, i just took the pod off whilst transferring the ants. They have already rebuilt a lot of the fungus and there is a chain gang pulling out the cotton wool from one of the connectors.

I just fitted the perspex to the bottom section only to find it had a 1/2 inch chip in a corner. That and it took 11 days to arrive wasn't good. Shan't be ordering from them any more http://www.plasticsheets.com/

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Britishants.com wrote:Pleasure :) what Sean said about the vent blocking is on point until the fungus has doubled!
Sean
Think you meant Jamie :D Sean ...

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Lol, multi tasking never suited me! Lol

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Apparently women are supposed to be good at multi tasking. Mine fails as she can't bring me food and beer at the same time....

Just messin with my sig,,if it's to big just delete it please