Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:03 pm

It is not a problem that the ants are dumping their waste nest to the fungus just now. Seems way too much condensation on the glass. That is probably why your humidity is low. Dont ever pick up the queen separately from the fungus. If you are using a spoon to move the colony then use that to pick up the fungus with the queen on it. You need to try to prevent all of your humidity turning into condensation. The air outside the nest tank must be a lot cooler than the air inside for that much condensation. Can you raise the temp in the room or immediately around the nest tank?

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:20 pm

I wouldn't even know where to start by doing something like that. I'm from East Essex so much like the rest of the UK, the temperature varies greatly by day. and our central heating doesn't always keep up with it.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Would be good to post some clearer pictures of your setup if you can. Just to see overall how it looks. Would be easier to comment if you can post some pics of nest area and then back a little bit to see around it.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Right, story time. I woke up this morning lifted up the lid of the nest tank, and smelled a strong smell of ammonia, plus the waste that was dropped around the fungus, was covered in that furry mold stuff.

So today I lifted the plastic tub containing the colony out of the tank. Completely replaced the substrate, and then using a clean metal spoon move the fungus onto the substrate. Because of the weird shape, the fungus split twice whilst moving. However I prioritized the fungus which had the queen on it.

It has been 8 hours and they have started to dump their waste into the out world instead of the fungus chamber. However the 2 tanks seem to have swapped roles. The smaller tank is now where im placing the leaves. They have clogged up the entrance to this tank. Im assuming this is because they have enough leaves for a couple of days.

Fungus looks ok to me, but I need your guys opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Yes looks fine. How are you heating it? The probes, is there one for the temp and one for humidity. They should both be right at the fungus. You need to know the temperature and humidity exactly where the fungus is, even in the fungus. Breaking the fungus up is a good thing. You will get positive action from them now. Looks like they are feeding fine. Not too much condensation.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Good. Hopefully im back on track. There are 3 levels to the tv stand, and the heat mat is on the middle layer. Where as the ants are on the top layer. It was initially directly below the clay granules, but it was far too hot for them. So I moved it. I managed to get the humidity to 90% but the temperature fluctuation in my room is ridiculous. So as it cools down condensation forms and the humidity lowers. It is beyond annoying but I'm really not sure if theres anything I can do.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Nevertheless, you need to find a way to get the temperature constant and the humidity steady at over 90%. If you cannot do this you will have problems mid to long term and the ants wont thrive. If your room temperature fluctuates you might need to place your entire setup into a larger tank of some kind so you can control the temperature and humidity immediately around the smaller tanks.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Would it work if I covered the nest tank with insulation material?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:42 am

Yeh that may work as a temporary fix, a cardboard box placed over the top, line it with bubble foil or if your wanting the best 25mm celotex. B&q do a cheaper option call jabalite.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:12 am

Or you could maybe place the heatmat on the side of the tank instead of underneath
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)