Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Deansie26
Major

Re: Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 am

Formica123 wrote:Or you could maybe place the heatmat on the side of the tank instead of underneath
Don't see what difference would that make Marco? Think that would actually reduce the humidity so make things worse. The problem Jack has is his tanks don't retain heat well so temps will yo yo.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 am

Ah ok I get you now. So Heats not the problem, humidity is?
Why not try just placing a damp cotton ball in the corner of the tank?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:13 am

Formica123 wrote:Ah ok I get you now. So Heats not the problem, humidity is?
Why not try just placing a damp cotton ball in the corner of the tank?
Losing heat is the problem, humidity would be if a heat mat was placed on the side. Wouldn't go down the cotton ball route, need a proper fix to the issues

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks for the ideas guys. I don't think adding any amount of water to the tank will help, I think Andrew hit the nail on the head with the first idea. And that is that because the glass is colder than the inside, all the water vapour in the air is cooling and turning back into water on the side of the tank. I'm going to do a test tonigh which will involve covering the tank in aluminium foil and if that makes any difference, I'll order some heat insulating foam.

In other news they are using the dump chamber which is good, but they have sealed off the outworld me enterance, I'm assuming that this is because they want to raise the humidity also. So should I continue to place leaves in the nest tank?

They are still tending to the fungus

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Right guys, a little pissed off at the moment. Yet again another hygrometer is broken. Im using the exoterra probe ones and they are crap. I did some research online and found out that you can use them above 80% humidity ;) :D :lol:

Well Im annoyed and stuff however I did build a cardboard/tinfoil "incubator" around the nest. But I cant test If it works or anything because there is nothing to measure the humidity. So I really need some tips on how to measure the humidity of the nest.

Apple and Spotted Laurel tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Where you getting condensation on the glass yesterday Jack?

I take it you will be insulating the top also

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Yes I did, I've insulated it today just checked and surprise suprise. There is still condensation forming!!! So I don't think my make shift insulation is working too well. So I need to think of an alternative.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Why not place the fungus tank in a moat of water with a canopy over top to catch humidity? Like those kiddy greenhouses
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:29 pm

I'd wait till the morning and check and see what the condensation in like, might be a slight improvement.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:36 pm

I swear, I'm actually done now one of my thermometers is reading 28•C and one is reading 23•C they are the same exact make of thermometer, and I only know it's 23•C because I tested it with something else. I'm actually done by this point my just send them away and give up.