Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Post by Andyj » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:
Siddle33 wrote:
Andyj wrote:Well done you, it must be a daunting but exciting task for you. I wish i had a friend i could rely on, actually i wished i had a friend :roll: :)
hey i'd happily be your friend if you lent me some leaf cutters from time to time. ;)
And Andy would happily remain your friend until there was a chance to get your queen from you, after which you'd never see him again. You need to watch your step and your atta queens with him about. Dont get sucked in!!

Oii,,i resemble that remark !!!

Siddle33
Larva

Post by Siddle33 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:03 pm

So here's the low down we're at 2 soldiers now which is great but not a lot else has been happening.
over the last few days they've been cutting the odd leaf and the odd bit of leaf and taking them into the chamber. although some may have been fed to the fungus i haven't seen any of that going on and there's always a pile of chopped up leaf hanging about when i go to feed them next. Jack had suggested that due to the two new soldier coming about the workers would be tending to them and not focus on cutting.
if so I'm fine with that happening, but its been a few days and this is still going on. the humidity is around 89-90 outside of the fungus garden (which i presumed was fine because they only plugged one entrance with dirt and left the other open) and the temp has been from 24 on a night to the high 26s on the hottest days but usually a consistent 25-26.

Is it something i should be majorly worried about or is it something i should try and ride out?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Nothing to worry about at all! Its normal behaviour for the ants to feed sporadically, its got nothing to do with the appearance of the soldiers.

Siddle33
Larva

Post by Siddle33 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Nothing to worry about at all! Its normal behaviour for the ants to feed sporadically, its got nothing to do with the appearance of the soldiers.
all good now came home to a nice feeding frenzy, thanks for the heads up :)!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:30 am

You really need to get a colony yourself?

Siddle33
Larva

Post by Siddle33 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:You really need to get a colony yourself?
One day hopefully! I might trade in my girlfriends birthday present money for one? Maybe that's not the best idea.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Jack! how's the colony doing?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Jack actually sent me a message today! He has in fact still got his ants and isn't dead! :o :lol:
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Hey guys, I'm not dead. I apologise for not updating.

First of all a massive 6 month late thank you to Alex who looked after my leafies during the summer, he has agreed to do so again in February. (such a nice guy)

in terms of the colony, similar thing to the old setup except I swapped the tray for a tank of soil, which they seem to like burying their waste in. Fungus has gotten bigger not by much though, I expect this is because I got of to a bit of a rocky start with them.

The new setup is still proving problems though, so once again I am looking to rebuild it. Ill include a much more detailed update later this week, with pictures.

<3 Jack

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Hey guys, sorry for not updating again, over the last 2 days I've noticed the ants are digging holes and tunnels in the dirt in their setup, I've also noticed that the fungus has a slightly orange tint, should I be worrying? mainly being fed on privet atm as I can find much of anything else.

Pictures are on my facebook (link below)

(not responsible for anything else you might find)

fungus
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theatre

Tunnels
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Holes
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater