Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Shamual
Pupa

Re: Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Post by Shamual » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:49 am

Believe it or not it's the camera on my iPhone 6 Plus :lol:

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Any updates? Been a while

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sun May 22, 2016 4:29 pm

I'll do a proper update later, they were in a really bad spot and at one point I was certain j was going to lose them, but they are doing ok now.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Doesn't sound to good, look forward to the update.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Right update time, they have never been in a fantastic spot since I got them, but before I had to change their setup the fungus shrivelled to about half the size, so I knew it was time I did something. So I move them into a tank with a thin layer of soil plopped the fungus in and placed a tub with holes over the top, once again the fungus continued to shrivel so I moved them into an aquarium setup, which worked great! They started building up the fungus again and it was the biggest it had ever been within a week! But then it all went haywire again. It has now been 4 days and they haven't cut any leaves and the fungus is going a white colour again, the tank smells funny and I keep losing ants because they are drowning. I've emailed Andrew but I need an emergency solution pretty much now otherwise I am going to lose them. I'll upload pictures later as I can't upload them from my phone

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:44 pm

White colour isn't a bad thing Jack, is mature fungus-as long as you still see some darker grey stuff on it to. If your colony is small it may not cut every day. I wouldn't worry about ants falling in the water, it happens. The smell may be coming from the ants dumping in the water as mine can get pretty wiffy. What size is the fungus now Jack?
Post pics of your set up and fungus garden if you can.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:28 pm

Jack, had a look at your pictures, I think you are overreacting, the fungus looks great unless these are old pictures. Ants in the water are never going to cause a problem. As Jamie says, bad smells are rarely associated with any problem with the fungus. Not sure where your worry is coming from. If your humidity where the fungus is is up over 90% and your temp is mid 20's then its only going to be a matter of time until they feed. But you have enough experience now to know that the fungus in the pictures you sent me looks fine. Again not sure that you really need to worry. Not feeding is actually not gathering fertiliser for their fungus. That does not mean they are not feeding, it means they are not adding fresh leaves to the fungus which is a different thing. If your fungus goes white and fluffy then please post a picture here and we can tell you when you should worry and what to do at that stage.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:50 am

Post your pictures here Jack, it's better for the forum than sending directly to Andrew as everyone can learn that way.
My fungus gardens are more white at bottom moving to grey at the top, the colour also looks different depending on what light is on, the unit LED's or the room light lol.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:27 am

Yeah they did cut again overnight, so I feel like a bit of a idiot. Sorry for over reacting, I'll post the pictures in a bit. The reason I don't upload them straight away is because I can't do it directly from my phone. So I have to put it on my computer etc. I think I get worried because I'm still not 100% sure what killed my last colony and for someone that works at asda, I don't really have the budget to keep making mistakes. Again sorry for the over reactions.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 pm

I do everything from my mobile as you can probably tell with my strange words that I tend to invent ;) But I've been able to post pictures via the photobucket app using an iphone4s and now an HTCm9 without any problem so unless you have a real brick of a phone it shouldn't be an issue if pics are taken with the phone.