Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Shamual
Pupa

Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Post by Shamual » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 pm

Right starting this journey now as I am finally going to order my atta colony. I was expecting to have them by now, but PayPal had other plans, so I'm ordering them this Friday instead. I want to say a big thanks to Andrew for putting up with the delay of my order.

When I receive the colony I plan to do an update everyday for the initial stages, the colony I'm planning to receive is fairly small so any advice is appreciated.

They should be with me next Tuesday. Oh and I'm naming the queen Rek'Sai.

Thanks

Jack

Shamual
Pupa

Re: Jack's final gambit Atta colony.

Post by Shamual » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:08 pm

They arrived today!

Much more fungus than I was expecting. When I first recieved them I had the same problem as my first colony. I couldn't see the bloody queen! And this is freakin Atta! But as I placed the tub in the setup, some fungus shifted and out popped the fairly large queen.

Then I though she was dead. As she wasn't moving, although she must have been cold because she soon perked up a bit and repositioned herself. She doesn't move an awful lot, is this normal for atta?

Right now they appear to be rebuilding the fungus garden. I will include some pictures later.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Nice one... Loads of fungus... It's all plain sailing from here :lol:

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:05 pm

So most important is to ensure that the temperature and the humidity is on target right at the fungus. It doesnt matter what your humidity and temperature are 20cm away from the fungus so position your thermometer and your humidity meter (if you have one) as close to the fungus as you can. Once you have this right you will have no problems. Its safe to say that ALL colonies that go wrong do so because either humidity or temperature are not right.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Looking good Jack! try get of to the best possible start and follow what Andrew says above.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've moved the thermometer down and the reading is around 24 degrees Celsius. However my hygrometer is busted. So has anyone got any recomendations for a new one, I would be panicking but it's a near enough sealed tank, the readings were always around 90 % before my hygrometer packed it

Also they have started dumping rubbish off the side of the tub. Which is annoying but they won't enter the tubes for some reason, will they move this crap after they discover the waste area or do I have to manually scoop it out?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:09 am

Manually scoop it and put it in the dump chamber with a few large and small workers, it will help things on if they haven't found the dump chamber yet
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I moved some of the dirt and a few ants into the dump chamber but they weren't interested in moving it. However the fungus does look quite a lot healthier today which is pretty good.

I do have a few problems though, because lets face it if everything went right, there would be no fun.

*They continue to dump rubbish into the nest tank, and they have started to move clay granules into the tub.
*I gave them some bramble leaves, and they have yet to cut them.
*They wont go in the outworld, a few did yesterday but that was about it.
*The queen is very lethargic, I know shes not meant to move an awful lot, but even when i open the lid of the tank she doesn't react.

I know its only been a 24 hours but, im a worrier. If you have any solutions to any of these it would be much appreciated.

And no. I will NOT urinate on the leaves.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Todays pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.