Atta - Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Atta - Aquarium setup

Post by Andyj » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Excellent Richard, do your clients get to see them and what are their responses ?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Great video Richard, I can see why your proud of it as your set up looks great and is really interesting, bet you could watch it for hours. Give got the same surface skimmer, APS filter by any chance?
Only one thing missing, commentary!! Next time maybe :)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Andyj wrote:Excellent Richard, do your clients get to see them and what are their responses ?
I'll be honest sometimes I turn the lights off so it all looks innocuous... a good majority of clients never mention it but I think some people have experience of keeping fish/ants/reptiles etc. will ask and those people love it .

One client even bought his 11 year old son to a meeting just to see the ants.

Jamie - Ha, commentary... I promise I'll include a commentary next time... I think it will probably be rubbish .. :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:15 pm

RichardP wrote:
Andyj wrote:Excellent Richard, do your clients get to see them and what are their responses ?
I'll be honest sometimes I turn the lights off so it all looks innocuous... a good majority of clients never mention it but I think some people have experience of keeping fish/ants/reptiles etc. will ask and those people love it .

Jamie - Ha, commentary... I promise I'll include a commentary next time... I think it will probably be rubbish .. :)
One day i would like my front window to have a pipe of LC's running across, but as i live on the High street i fear criminal damage. :(

About commentry,,,if your Scottish then subtitles will do just fine ;)

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Richard, our colony has also built 3 fungus in unheated tanks and they are doing very well! As I have said before, when I turned the heat mat on previously, they dismantled the fungus, so I now leave them alone to do what they will...

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Andyj wrote:
RichardP wrote:

I always thought that the colony I set up at Twycross Zoo at the mirrors in the ladies and gents toilets was the best positioned colony I have worked with. If anyone got such a fright that they sh*t themselves, they were in the perfect place!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:25 pm

So how did they cope with the Ammonia ?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:05 am

If they escaped from the tubing you would see them walking into the nest with chunks of toilet seat because of all the urine from the men that splashed on
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:33 am

Formica123 wrote:If they escaped from the tubing you would see them walking into the nest with chunks of toilet seat because of all the urine from the men that splashed on
What? :?: :roll: :( :|

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:17 pm

Ha ha