Atta - Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Britishants.com
Worker

Re: Atta - Aquarium setup

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm going to be DEVILS ADVOCATE here, I disagree with uncle Bob on this one! (shock horror) I find the whole process of upgrading, adding additions, extensions, platforms, ropes and new ideas really exciting! I'm constantly trying to perfect my set up at home without disturbing the main garden pod. I think as long as you don't mess with the garden but offer them alternatives they will always choose where they want to be. In time if they set up elsewhere then a relocation of the Queen might be in order! I do agree with Dean's comment about this journal! it's one of my favourites! Good luck!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:10 am

I think Andrew and Sean both make good cases actually. I like the building part but a proper purpose built set up designed by Andrew actually sounds appealing to myself.
Depends what you enjoy Richard but think a drastic change of use off-the-aquarium will benefit.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:16 am

Personally I would move the atta into a bigger setup and use the aquarium setup you have now for Acros :D
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:06 am

Formica123 wrote:Personally I would move the atta into a bigger setup and use the aquarium setup you have now for Acros :D
The aquarium would be good for Acromyrmex but I know Richard has a thing for Atta :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:51 pm

And he is giving his Acro away!
Britishants.com wrote:I'm going to be DEVILS ADVOCATE here, I disagree with uncle Bob on this one! (shock horror) I find the whole process of upgrading, adding additions, extensions, platforms, ropes and new ideas really exciting! I'm constantly trying to perfect my set up at home without disturbing the main garden pod. I think as long as you don't mess with the garden but offer them alternatives they will always choose where they want to be. In time if they set up elsewhere then a relocation of the Queen might be in order! I do agree with Dean's comment about this journal! it's one of my favourites! Good luck!
Uncle Bob is displeased on a level that cuts deep! I was unaware of my Avuncular disposition. Perhaps I need to reassess my own view of the stage of life I am at!!
Also I think this thread is very entertaining.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks for all your input chaps.

This situation reminds me of an apocryphal story I heard once. In a gardening book, under "How to grow potatoes", the first item on the to do list read:

1. Dig a trench 9 months ago.

We are where we are I suppose.

Anyways, one of my restrictions is budget. I've already used up 2 birthdays and xmas's on this project. So I haven't got the budget to have Andrew bespoke a set up for me. Much as that would be fantastic. Also, of course I've already invested a large amount of money in the aquarium.

I really like the look of what I have now. The aquarium has a great lighting system and I think it currently looks extremely cool, not to mention rather pretty.

I really want to keep the look and feel of it as it is. I think I've probably got current space to last me another 9 months to a year. But, dealing with this problem in a year is going to be considerably harder than if I deal with it now (Soldiers!!!)

I could feasibly add more nests inside the aquarium but I need to be able to access the water biome to trim plants, remove dead fish, etc. So I can't just load it up indefinitely. So I need to start thinking about expansion in some other way.

As I say, I've got the tank and I love it so any solution is going to be best if it works alongside the existing.

I also want to retain the Atta rather than swap to Acro. Among other things they are like my little pets now. I sort of love them.

Option 1) Put a (furniture) unit next to the aquarium and stand glass/acrylic nests on it - initial questions still remain, how would I best deal with climate control and would they naturally migrate to the new chambers once the nesting boxes in the aquarium were full. (see previous diagram)
Option 2) Andrew can design and build a unit for me that sits on the floor (or on a unit) next to the aquarium that looks fantastic and would fit into a space 108cm wide x 90cm tall x 45cm deep (or 65cm wide x 126cm tall x 45cm deep). And would either link to the existing aquarium or I just move the whole lot into it and just have the aquarium as an aquarium (although I do like the dual biotome) ?
Option 3) I can't think of an option 3.

Thank you so much for your ongoing help. Maybe if I'd had this forum to consult from the very beginning we wouldn't be where we are now.

It's great fun though isn't it :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Option 3
Richard: Darling, Im going to expand the colony with a new unit from some guy on the forum I've been spending all the time I used to spend with you on.
Wife: But you've already got a tank for your ants.
Richard: Yes but when they grow to half a million ants Ill need to put them into something much bigger.
Wife: rustling sound

you know the score.......

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 pm

Hahaha

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 pm

:lol:

Fungus update - just to keep you focused on the problem at hand :)

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:05 pm

What are you feeding them ??? Nice fungus mate