Atta - Aquarium setup

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
RichardP
Worker

Re: Atta - Aquarium setup

Post by RichardP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:02 am

Deansie26 wrote:Sounds like you need a better solution to the dump chamber Richard
Definitely... I've lost a couple of fish in the last week which I think is due to the lower water quality caused by the sheer amount of fungus waste. Also, because the filter gets bunged up with the waste subsequent water that gets pulled through the filter has to pass through the gunk so has turned my water yellow. So I'm doing water changes every few days now as well.

So the set up was good for about a year before it has started to unravel.

We'll have to see how it develops.

I had another cull today. About 200 or so ants. Same method with the apple and the skewer.

Last thing to mention I had about 15 ants escape the other day. They had found a weak spot in my fluon oil barrier and started to push through. they were all mooching around the external chamber near where they escaped. No great worry tbh, I just re fluoned the chamber. popped them back in.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:29 pm

So do you think your about there for your colony size Richard? If your heart was really set on this size I'd be inclined to sell and get Acromyrmex, I find them slower to grow but no less exciting to keep. That's a really small size to restrict them to when their obviously doing well with you, but each to there own if course buddy.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Deansie26 wrote:So do you think your about there for your colony size Richard? If your heart was really set on this size I'd be inclined to sell and get Acromyrmex, I find them slower to grow but no less exciting to keep. That's a really small size to restrict them to when their obviously doing well with you, but each to there own if course buddy.
It's certainly something I'll think about.. although can you imagine swapping colonies..!! Bedlam.. :)

Interestingly they started another two fungus gardens today.. another one in the tubing and a small garden down in the "second" external chamber that I was hoping they'd use as a dump. It only has hard sand in it.

I assume it is the high uk temperature? They haven'y moved any brood about.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:17 pm

There hard to predict buddy, half the time they never do what you want but in the summer they definitely can surprise you with starting fungus gardens in strange places
It's not that hard to move colonys, is an experience ;)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Quick update:

The problem of excess dumping has subsided. They were just having a total clear out. Itis back to normal levels now. even though it turned the water yellow as you can see below the water quality was unaffected (NO, NA, PH etc).

One of the big boys was wandering around the tubes yesterday which was pretty impressive.

Photos below show the current set up and the new fungus gardens.

You can see the incredible structure they built at the front of the nest in the aquarium. I assume this gives them greater control over their climate as they have a few holes dotted about it that they open or close. they bought all the soil and clay up from the external nest chamber.

I'm a bit embarrassed by my lack lustre photography based on the contributions from others :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Great pictures and update Richard those are two large gardens, I dare say 3 before long. The structure is suite big eh, your reason of climate control sounds good. Are you going to 3 large gardens Max? Sorry if you already said this

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Deansie26 wrote:Great pictures and update Richard those are two large gardens, I dare say 3 before long. The structure is suite big eh, your reason of climate control sounds good. Are you going to 3 large gardens Max? Sorry if you already said this
I have not written off the idea of expanding the setup. Although I am really pleased with it as it is, I'll be honest. It's interesting, manageable, and good fun.

We'll see what happens

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:06 pm

The soil structure on the outside is typical of them, just when everything looks just so they decide to redecorate. Leaf Cutters just wouldnt make good architects. Hence the barriers to entry into Architect school for ants. Some discrimination is a good thing.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Quick update.

I went on holiday for a week and my sister looked after them, visiting every two days. All went well. They have nearly filled the small external nest box. It's interesting that I had two external nest boxes - in one I maintain humidity, and temperature using a heat mat and I put soil and clay in as substrate.

The other box I just tagged on as a potential dump. It's not heated. That is the one they chose to build the third fungus in!

In other news, while I was away they started to build a soil structure around the tubing that exits the aquarium. Very swish!

I've seen a good few soldiers out and about which I find incredibly impressive.

It's all going very well. I'll do another video in a week or so.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:38 pm

More appalling videography... at the end I'm trying to show the earthen structure they built round the exit tube.