Arco colony Friday 1st November

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Kalidas
Pupa

Re: Arco colony Friday 1st November

Post by Kalidas » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Oh good to know, last year was my first year. Sadly the Queen's didn't make it. I think the culprit was the rose petals and black berry leaves I gave them from my backyard.

Turns out my grandparents (whom I live with) hire Gardner's who use pesticides on their plants, didn't realize that till a couple weeks ago :(

I am gonna try again next year, Butler me know how cornflakes work out. I also know people who use oatmeal, that also worked for me.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Sovoy cabbage they love went shop got full size and washed it and they went all over the leafs of it and they cutting it crazy lol and they like cooked chicken as well. As feed them chicken tonight as well. Fungus growing nice size they have really nice trail to the pod where the fungus is.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Atta soldier said......
As feed them chicken tonight as well
What!!! So you cook for them. Chicken Tonight is a sauce for chicken which you buy in a jar. I have this picture of Ric pouring over a stove preparing a meal for his colony.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 am

Lmao they had 5 star meal Andrew they loved it

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 am

They love nettles and the fungus is growing very nice and growing well with the brood boating out of the fungus I don't no how many workers I have but they go crazy when I put the leafs in pod and they rush up the tubing and be around 50+ on the leafs cleaning and then start to cut them and carry them down there even smaller ones sitting on the leafs bee carried by the very larger workers.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Brussels are out and my Arco are going crazy for them there is around 100+ cutting 2 of them, I wont be feeding them a lot as Christmas time I be feeding them more of them just my family got some.for there Sunday dinner for tomorrow so I fort I take 2 lol. And soon I'll be getting raj new pods for them as the pods they are in are for my new Atta colony am getting.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Good stuff. When are you getting your atta? Your acro seem to be doing great. Acro can be quite difficult to get right. Certainly there are not many large Acro colonies around.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:47 am

Hoping get atta after Christmas Andrew and my arco are in raj large pod and doing great they have a nice tail to there feeding pod and they taking rose leafs still. The arco are that big now that it's got so hard to take the lid off to feed them in there feed pod as there so many in there now.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:39 am

Well they started on a 2nd fungus garden in 2nd pod as they filled up the large pod I moved them in I see there are loads of brood now which is at bousting point on the fungus. There is some larger pupa.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Just seen the queen and she's lot bloated then I've seen a arco queen before as this is my 2nd time keeping a Arco as Andrew noes what happened to the last Arco colony I got years ago. Is it normal for a Arco queen to be bloated and with tiny workers on her, as I seen tiny workers all over a atta queen but not a Arco queen. But all is fine they are cutting lot of rose as i found next door as a tree like rose Bush which they dokt do anything to it they just let it grow wild lol. Andrew how big does a Arco colony get tho as I've seen some get really big etc. ??