Rays Over Engineered Atta Colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Docxx
Site Admin

Rays Over Engineered Atta Colony

Post by Docxx » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:25 pm

So I finally received my Atta cephalotes for Raj. They arrived in good health, the Fungus was in little bits but that was too be expected of course. I've placed them in their 'Nursery' Fungus Garden on a bed of substrate (Topsoil and coco fibre mixed, same stuff I use for my Tarantulas). I gently tipped the fungus into the centre but the Queen was hanging on to the tissue and I didn't want to touch her so I left the tissue in the enclosure until she moved herself.

Several hours later she was on top of the Fungus so I removed the tissue. The ants appear to be moving little bits of fungus and dropping them down the side of the enclosure, I assume these are dead bits as they're orangy brown. There is lots of activity on the fungus itself and some ants are carrying bits of substrate around.

I placed a grape cut in half and some Brussel sprout leaves next to the enclosure. They seem to be enjoying the grape, ignored the sprout leaves but I don't expect them to cut anything yet, just offered it incase.

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Rays Over Engineered Atta Colony

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:18 am

Hi, is there any fungus there? Doesnt seem to be any 'pieces' that they can work with. One of the indicators of this is that they ignored the leaves and took the grape. Leaf Cutters will drink and eat the sweetness of the grapes as a temporary substitute for no fungus. If all of the fungus is dead you will need to get some more fungus quickly to get this colony going. Monitor this, I would say by now there should be a little piece of reformed fungus that the ants can work on. If not, there may not be any fungus left.

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Hi, is there any fungus there? Doesnt seem to be any 'pieces' that they can work with. One of the indicators of this is that they ignored the leaves and took the grape. Leaf Cutters will drink and eat the sweetness of the grapes as a temporary substitute for no fungus. If all of the fungus is dead you will need to get some more fungus quickly to get this colony going. Monitor this, I would say by now there should be a little piece of reformed fungus that the ants can work on. If not, there may not be any fungus left.
I think you may be right, Checked on them today. They moved the queen to underneath the nursery enclosure directly on top of the clay balls. I'm unable to see if there is any healthy fungus but there is a lot of dead fungus in the waste pile. Really gutted, this seems to be over before I even started :/

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:35 pm

I saw a little bit of healthy fungus, probably about a grape size, they're currently surrounding it in substrate. I also noticed they cut a little bit of leaf but left it near the fungus. I don't think this is enough fungus for them to get going, speaking to the seller he sent me a satsuma size fungus so it seems like most of it died in the post. I'm in the market for some Fungus (never thought I would say that...), or if I can't get any then I just better keep conditions good and pray they can rescue the fungus.

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 am

Update 4/10/2018

So last night I completely removed the glass fungus garden and the glass sheet they decided to move the queen and fungus under, I put a small overturned tub over the top of them and left a pile of substrate next to it so they can do what they need to with that. Not ideal as they're on top of the clay balls which I wanted to avoid but I didn't want to move the queen or fungus and potentially cause more harm.

Checked them this morning and there seems to be a little more fungus than I first thought, still not a lot though. They have done a little cutting though it is sitting next to the fungus at the moment. I took a quick picture too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:38 pm

05/09/2018

Checked them this morning, doesnt look like much change to the fungus but its only been a day. They are now cutting small quantities of Bramble and Almond flakes. Today I offered them a grape, almond flakes, bramble leaves, Apple skin and a little bit of Broccoli.

*Note to self, use Macro Lens next time :P*

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:04 pm

06/09/2018

Not a whole lot of change with the Fungus, looks a bit more white to me and bit more structured? They've been cutting like crazy today, Brussels sprouts leaves and almond flakes. Piling up nicely next to the fungus.

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 pm

18/10/2018

Update on my Atta, so after a slow start, they seem to be getting better. I was a bit desperate at the beginning of the week and bought some extra fungus from a friend. I added the fungus yesterday after I removed all the workers and they appear to have accepted it as its now been transplanted to the original fungus. On check it this morning the Orginal fungus looks Grey with some material in it, it also looks a little larger.

I've been feeding them Spotted laurel which they really enjoy and are constantly cutting. Humidity and Temps are still spot on, though I have a new Hygrometer coming tomorrow but that just my own paranoia. I already have 3 working lol.

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:03 pm

29/10/18

No picture today as I didn't want to disturb them. The Fungus has grown approx. 30 - 40% in the last week. It a nice green/grey colour. They're cutting spotted laurel, rose leaves and bramble leaves. They're making a decent comeback :)

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 pm

31/10/2018

Had a good look at the fungus today. Some impressive growth, looks like its nearly doubled in size. Nice Green/grey colour with leaf material inside it. Gave them Bramble and Spotted Laurel and they went nuts over the Bramble.

And if I'm not mistaken I can see eggs :)