Jackie62 photos/videos of our A. octospinosus colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Jackie62 photos/videos of our A. octospinosus colony

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:35 am

Not sure many members will be able to collect from you. We should see what the uptake is on this (or maybe a member who is close to you and wants to collect some could distribute from there). Paperwork would be a form which I could prepare for you if necessary were any member wishing to partake of this offer.
Introducing a new queen, yes, very interesting. PM me.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Given new queens out to try that be good try if if looking for members I can help if you looking for members in this group just give us heads up ;) and nice reading about your colony mate ! I'll be Intresting !

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi Jackie, your thread is great and I enjoy your updates. Sorry if I missed it but why can't you post the queens? Especially within trusted members of the forum. They are a non invasive species and in all likeliness the queens will not start any colonys anyway.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:08 am

As we are a research facility, I'm not allowed to just post ants out and also, on Andrews advice, its far too cold to put the queens in the post without some form of warmth anyway. I have still not had permission from the University to release any ants. Also, as the species is a non-native one, this has to be handled with official paperwork for us and we need to cover ourselves in acting responsibly.
As soon as I hear from our Dean, I'll let the forum know, but it will be a case of collecting the queens if anyone is still interested.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 am

Hi All, really sorry I have been away for so long, but house-moving and other things have kept me away.

Our colony here at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge is changing again, with some odd behaviours that I would appreciate some answers on, if possible. I have posted a few photos below to let you see what they are doing.....I've asked my colleagues who have known the colony from the very beginning (14 years ago) and they have not seen the colony do this before. The colony seems to be splitting apart, and as you can see, there is another large fungus built in one of their feed tanks. The colony have been trying to build a fungus in different tanks before, but normally this wouldn't last long and they would dismantle it and take it back to the main tank. I place leaves in two of the tanks and the ants are definitely taking cuttings to the separate fungi, with some ants 'robbing' bits of fungus from each other and taking it back to their respective tanks. I made the mistake the other day of opening the tank with the new fungus in it and they swarmed big time; I had real trouble keeping them in the tank and had to put the lid back on while I caught the escapees! They were also very aggressive towards me, so I guess there must be brood and a new queen in this new tank.
I don't know how long this may go on for, but it's really interesting. They are due for a clean out soon, so I'll get a better look, but it does seem that both colonies (if they are that) are using the same dump tank.

There are far fewer young queens in the tanks now and lots of large workers, but I guess this can change at any time.

Opinions greatly appreciated as to what may be going on here, thanks.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:38 am

Hi Jackie, great to see you back posting. Photos are good. I've had the swarming experience with my first Acromyrmex colony, was very distinctive, they where very aggressive and it last for ages-totally different than anything I had witnessed before. Hence I always have a moat once they start getting larger now lol.
Iys interesting they have started s new fungus but I would suggest this was just a second garden starting and not a colony separation. What makes you think differently?
Taking fungus of the original is quite normal.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:39 am

Hello Deansie, its good to be back and thanks for the info. I didn't know they could make a second fungus, as I guess after 14 years and no one ever having seen the colony build one of this size before, we wouldn't! They have always got so far and then dismantled it. The aggression from the ants when I took the lid off was very intense, unlike any I had seen before, so it lead me to think they are obviously protecting it well and coupled with the age of the colony, I wondered if this was a new beginning for them, with a new queen, as the other one in the main tank may have died by now. I have noticed that the main fungus is not tended so much anymore and is getting smaller and perhaps when the colony is dying this may happen. The colony can only use the space they are given and as things are, I may introduce a fourth tank, but we are limited for space until our new Science building is finished next year. Anyway, thank you and I will keep in touch with further info....never a dull moment with these great animals!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Is interesting, I'm sure they can produce more gardens as mine have done this. Yous do sound like they're exhibiting some unusual behaviour, I don't believe a colony can produce fertile queens from within its own population, total diversity killer.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:20 pm

I think it may be possible, and inbreeding doesn't show within the colony for some years apparently. Think I remember Andrew saying that to me when he visited our campus, would need to check though....

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi All, the colony are building more fungus now. I have 4 separate fungi across 3 tanks (although 2 could be deemed 'together' as they are in the same tank). The colony continue to take leaves to different fungi and move the fungi about. The main tank has a lot of new queens and I've found males too. The fungus in the main tank is diminishing now. I'm cleaning them out on Wednesday, so will report more then.
Cheers for now..