Jackie62 photos/videos of our A. octospinosus colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Jackie62
Minim

Re: Jackie62 photos/videos of our A. octospinosus colony

Post by Jackie62 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:57 pm

I don't know Andy, but I've just found a flying queen down the corridor! It's not looking good in the tanks, very few workers, with some queens working...it's becoming like a ghost town in there! I do think the colony is dying now....very sad, but they've had a good run over the past 14 years...will update again soon.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:46 pm

As you say they have had a good run and a pat on the back for you. It's also a good chance to have a big clean out and start again. You never know though, the out come may surprise everyone yet.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi All, the colony continues to dwindle and fade away...it's really strange to see it, compared to how lively they all were about one month ago...but I guessed something was up..those that are left are continuing to cut leaves, including the young queens, but to no avail I feel....and still transporting resources around. I have read that they do this until the last 'woman' standing....they have been a joy to look after for the past 5 years....will look forward to a new colony, when the time comes.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 am

Are they now dead?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 am

No, they are not! I was going to come back to you all this week with news. The colony have built another large garden in one of the tanks, but the colony itself is made up of what looks like mostly young queens, followed by workers and some minims. Strangely, they do not forage further than this tank, hence I have to leave their bramble leaves on top of the fungus. I have left all sorts on top of their feeding platform, but this gets ignored. I took out the old tank where the main fungus had been for 14 years and it had all gone, just some soil-type deposits left. The dump tank is rarely used now and I'm not sure where they are dumping stuff, can't see anything anywhere at the moment.
I don't know if this colony is viable, maybe it is, but I'll keep going with them of course and will keep you posted.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Good to hear from you Jackie, and i thought they had all gone, so pleased they are still with you.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi Andy, they did die back a lot, so I thought that was it! No idea what is going on, but will keep an eye on them.....if anyone has an thoughts on this I'd be pleased to receive any advice or info, thanks.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 am

Formica123 wrote:Are they now dead?
Classic Marco quote!! :lol:

I think your colony is definitely declining. Can be a drawn out process. Some workers can live for quite a while. What is your line in the sand that says the colony is over. For me, in your situation, I would suggest that the disappearance of the fungus would be a sign to euthanize the remaining ants. I think the stimulus to forage comes from the presence of brood and that the foraging behaviour will cease when the last of the brood hatches. Not sure where I read that but it has proved true for me in the past.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks Andrew. We will do some thinking here as to what to do, bearing in mind we will be having a new display in our Science Building come later on this year.
There is no foraging or use of the dump tank, so I guess it is over....what a great run they have had for a captive colony.

I will be back in touch, cheers.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Its almost the perfect management of a colony long term. I doubt many wild colonies last this long. Free from competition and predators, relaible source of food, heat and humidity. Nice life!