Jackie62 photos/videos of our A. octospinosus colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Jackie62
Minim

Re: Jackie62 photos/videos of our A. octospinosus colony

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

Hi all, I guess I won't be writing too much more about our Acro colony, they really are just a handful of ants now, with minims and young queens still around, but fewer and fewer as the days go by...someone must have still been laying! They are not cutting much at all and they have a small ball of fungus left. But they are still going! I really thought they would be gone by now, but I seem to remember Andrew saying that they could take quite a while to finish completely....that's fine, we will look after them until their final demise....and look forward to our new Atta cephalotes colony in January 2018!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:55 pm

An Amzing colony with a long life. You and your people should be very proud of the job you have done with them. Its a real labour of love and a credit to you that they have thrived for so long. The Atta will do very well I am sure, under your care.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:08 am

Well, it has happened, our Acro tanks have fallen completely silent, not a single ant left. Fifteen years of keeping them, enjoying them, students studying them, they were great!

Gone to that great nest in the sky....

Occultus
Larva

Post by Occultus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Sorry to read about the loss of this great colony Jackie. It's rewarding to think how many students you've inspired over the years. A true testament to the great care you've provided them. I know its never easy losing a colony, especially one such as this.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:07 am

Thank you. I and my colleagues looked after them and loved them (I probably loved them the most!) I have many good memories of their behaviour and how I watched them for hours.....I can honestly say that having an ant colony to take care of is one of the best things I have done in life, because they teach you so much. That's what is now happening with our new Atta colony. Students, staff and visitors to our university are absolutely amazed by them! I had one member of staff say to me that he thought having the ant colony was one of the best things our uni had ever done!

It's certainly a pleasure to take care of and work with our Atta beauties!