tropical spingtails in nest

Questions and Discussions for experienced keepers. Post here to engage our community in an exchange of ideas, report on tried and tested techniques and to discuss issues and observations likely to stimulate an challenge.
theboyw
Larva

tropical spingtails in nest

Post by theboyw » Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 am

My Atta nest is full of tropical springtails they are not on the fungus but all over the inside of the plastic rub where the fungus in contained, they have been in there a long time but today there seems to be loads. should I be worried ?..

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: tropical spingtails in nest

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 pm

No, not at all. These seem to be a commensal species with Leaf Cutters. That is they provide no benefit and n harm to the ants. However for me, the main benefit of them is that knowing the ants never allow them onto the fungus, if you happen to see them on the fungus, this is a good indicator that there is a problem with the colony. In very large commercial setups, it is rare to ever see the queen. If she dies, the colony does not immediately go into decline. As long as there are brood present they will still forage and excavate. But the first sign, which lets the keepers know there is a problem, is that the ants stop guarding the fungus against these inverts and they are seen on the fungus. When I am contacted by a public display and told their feeding is reduced, this is one of the first questions I ask. Are the little white, mitey thingies, on the fungus. If the answer is yes then we have a problem. Otherwise ignore them. If they congregate in a specific area and you are concerned at their numbers then remove them with a cloth or a spoon or something.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed May 18, 2016 3:52 pm

I found the same thing with mine, the mites (or whatever they are) multiplied like crazy, they were mainly found on the waste areas but quite a few were on the glass next to the fungus, I've recently had to move my colony into an alternative setup, but I don't think there were any mites there, so will they be ok without the mites?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 18, 2016 7:50 pm

I too have a load of spring tails. I used to try and encourage them for my dart frogs, now i don't really want them, well not so many but they have a job to do.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed May 18, 2016 11:14 pm

Shamual wrote:I found the same thing with mine, the mites (or whatever they are) multiplied like crazy, they were mainly found on the waste areas but quite a few were on the glass next to the fungus, I've recently had to move my colony into an alternative setup, but I don't think there were any mites there, so will they be ok without the mites?
Yes, no issues with no mites, they are neither a benefit or a problem.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed May 18, 2016 11:14 pm

Shamual wrote:I found the same thing with mine, the mites (or whatever they are) multiplied like crazy, they were mainly found on the waste areas but quite a few were on the glass next to the fungus, I've recently had to move my colony into an alternative setup, but I don't think there were any mites there, so will they be ok without the mites?
Yes, no issues with no mites, they are neither a benefit or a problem.