Converting fungus

Questions and Discussions for experienced keepers. Post here to engage our community in an exchange of ideas, report on tried and tested techniques and to discuss issues and observations likely to stimulate an challenge.
Formica123
Sub-Major

Converting fungus

Post by Formica123 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:53 pm

This is something that can be done with ease. Say you have an atta colony with tons of fungus and an acro colony with none. But your worried about them not accepting atta fungus? Here's how!

Take the atta fungus and don't feed it for a day or two. Remove all workers inside the fungus and give it to the ants. Place a few workers inside the fungus and a few tiny peices of te Acromyrmex favourite leaf. Then slowly heat them up from 20*c to 25*c. Over the next few days feed them as normal as monitor the fungus to see if it becomes smoother and more like Acromyrmex fungus!
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

rens
Larva

Re: Converting fungus

Post by rens » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:40 pm

wow! thank you so much! ;)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Marco, interesting addition. Where has this come from. I thought your effort failed. Is this from a source where it has been done successfully. Can you post it here?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:26 pm

It was half from my experience and mostly from an interesting article I read. It was about the relationships of atta and Acromyrmex with their fungus. If I come across is]t again I'll post a link

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:29 pm

I think we need caution when posting information like this. If you can qualify statements by posting your source at the time, also if it is based on your personal experience then this is not something that is easy to do and actually in the end proved not to work. I have heard that fungus can be transferred from one type to another but we possibly need to look at this in a more controlled environment. We can perhaps carry out a study on this forum among the members in the future. Good stuff though!

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:51 pm

It was some of my own information (temp.) b8t the other information I read