Two Queen Colony

Questions and Discussions for experienced keepers. Post here to engage our community in an exchange of ideas, report on tried and tested techniques and to discuss issues and observations likely to stimulate an challenge.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Two Queen Colony

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Okay I took the colony apart yesterday to try and establish if my two queen experiment was working. And.... only one queen! I think they have killed the other queen. So, and its only a single sample, a bit of a ways to go yet, I am thinking that the two queen notion needs work!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Two Queen Colony

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Just for interest, found this online. In my experience Acromyrmex can be combined easily and at many stages of development from queens only (they will cooperate) to large colonies. This may be a consequence of their less advanced status compared to Atta. However, now I come to think of this, in Ponerine ants, which are quite a primitive ant, queen interactions are generally down at gunpoint. They are not that tolerant. So I wonder why Acros are such wimps in the regicide department!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:55 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Just for interest, found this online. In my experience Acromyrmex can be combined easily and at many stages of development from queens only (they will cooperate) to large colonies. This may be a consequence of their less advanced status compared to Atta. However, now I come to think of this, in Ponerine ants, which are quite a primitive ant, queen interactions are generally down at gunpoint. They are not that tolerant. So I wonder why Acros are such wimps in the regicide department!

Wimps or more civilized? lol. Capital punishment is not on.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:18 pm

Of course its evolution in two different lines, behaviours will not necessarily be mirrored. The obvious difference is that ponerine ants are carnivorous so more likely to settle disputes with their fists!