Tubing Diameter

Questions and Discussions for experienced keepers. Post here to engage our community in an exchange of ideas, report on tried and tested techniques and to discuss issues and observations likely to stimulate an challenge.
RichardP
Worker

Tubing Diameter

Post by RichardP » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi I just wondered if anyone could let me know what internal diameter tubing I should use when creating tubing passages between nest and feeding station?

Also, does anyone know the maximum sort of gradient for tubing that still allows the ants enough purchase? (or a solution to allow ants to travel in vertical tubing)

Thanks in advance
Rich

Deansie26
Major

Re: Tubing Diameter

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Im sure its no more than 25mm inner diameter and the ants will struggle taking leaves up vertical pipe, having a stick inside it can solve this. Sure others will have ideas though :)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:29 pm

deansie26 wrote:Im sure its no more than 25mm inner diameter and the ants will struggle taking leaves up vertical pipe, having a stick inside it can solve this. Sure others will have ideas though :)
Thanks. I thought that maybe running some cord through the tubing might give them enough grip?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:13 pm

RichardP wrote:
deansie26 wrote:Im sure its no more than 25mm inner diameter and the ants will struggle taking leaves up vertical pipe, having a stick inside it can solve this. Sure others will have ideas though :)
Thanks. I thought that maybe running some cord through the tubing might give them enough grip?
There's no set thing to use but I'd use exo Terra flexible vine, easy to work with and gives great trip.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:17 pm

Alternatively you can scratch the inside of the tubing a little with sandpaper. The side you aren't looking through, as to not obscure viewing.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:46 am

I use clear acrylic tubing with internal diameter of 26mm, external 30mm. A very thin branch looks the best inside this. If you are using cord then it has to be non hairy, smooth surfaced. You have to use the standard white or black connectors for this though, there are no clear versions unless you make your own from wider pipe.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:I use clear acrylic tubing with internal diameter of 26mm, external 30mm. A very thin branch looks the best inside this. If you are using cord then it has to be non hairy, smooth surfaced. You have to use the standard white or black connectors for this though, there are no clear versions unless you make your own from wider pipe.
Why non hairy? does it catch when they walk over it?

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:I use clear acrylic tubing with internal diameter of 26mm, external 30mm. A very thin branch looks the best inside this. If you are using cord then it has to be non hairy, smooth surfaced. You have to use the standard white or black connectors for this though, there are no clear versions unless you make your own from wider pipe.
Hi, I found this supplier who seems to offer clear connectors and pipe.

http://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/Clear- ... c_703.html

I'll put in a trial order and see if it's up to scratch for the job. Thanks again.

PierreE
Larva

Post by PierreE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Hey,

I use for my Atta cephalotes colony 50mm diameter.
These are perfect but I think a little bit smaller is okay,too.
For my Acromyrmex crassispinus I will use 25mm!

Best regards,
Pierre

earthtiger
Larva

Post by earthtiger » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 pm

I use tubs with 40 outside (36 inside) diameter.

40 mm is a standard size in the sanitary area => one will easily find cheap L- and T-connectors, fittings, etc.