Fungus from one Genus to another

Questions and Discussions for experienced keepers. Post here to engage our community in an exchange of ideas, report on tried and tested techniques and to discuss issues and observations likely to stimulate an challenge.
Antkit
Pupa

Fungus from one Genus to another

Post by Antkit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Fungus was introduced into 2 young Atta cephalotes colonies to see if this species would accept fungus spores from Acromyrmex octospinosus colonies.

Queen 1

Day 1

Day 2
Contact me at ant.enquiries@antkit.uk | All our ants are inspected and certificated at border control.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Fungus from one Genus to another

Post by Formica123 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:44 pm

I can see the growth, looks good so far. Right amount of fungus for such a small colony,
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Antkit
Pupa

Post by Antkit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Queen 3

Day 1
This is the original queens fungus, i am so tempted to remove it and replace this with some some Acromyrmex octospinosus fungus, however it would be a costly mistake if it fails. Any suggestions?

Day 1
A clump of fungus has been added to the container. I have has had good suggestions of adding some soil, removing the wet tissue paper. I figure lets start with some live and active fungus first and look to changing other scenarios in the future. This way we can be sure of what has actually worked. If the fungus dies I can replace it with more fungus.

Day 1
The Queen is all over this fungus. I have placed a piece of bramble leaf right beside the fungus, with hope the Queen may show it also some attention.
Last edited by Antkit on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Contact me at ant.enquiries@antkit.uk | All our ants are inspected and certificated at border control.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:02 pm

It looks quite unhealthy/brown. Why not give them some kind of substrate? I'm sure it would do the world of good at such a small stage in the colonies development.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Personally, I wouldn't remove the original fungus, you can try adding the Acro fungus.

A substrate wouldn't change much in my opinion, only if the conditions aren't right that adding substrate would help. i.e if the humidity is not right the substrate would increase it. I kept my small Atta colony substrate-less since I got them.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Jon, how are you heating Them?

Antkit
Pupa

Post by Antkit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Two valid suggestions. Lets wait a little longer for a few more comments.

They are heated with an aquarium heater.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Ah, so with water? Humidity should be fine. But definitely give them a spoon of soil or peat, Andrew always recommends it, they can place it around the fungus to make the humidity and temperature 100% perfect. Just allows them to be able to alter things as they need

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Jon, just seen this. That is the problem with sending ants for any distance by post, unfortunately. If I was to make a comment about the pictures I'd say the tissues are way too wet. You need to find a way to raise the humidity up without having the ants so close to that amount of water. Actually tissue in such close proximity to ants can cause fungus to die. If I was you I would remove tissues all together. The Atta fungus seems dead. I will be interested in your experience with the Acro transplant. Keep us posted.

Antkit
Pupa

Post by Antkit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:12 pm

New fungus added, fingers crossed.