plaster of paris

Questions and Discussions for experienced keepers. Post here to engage our community in an exchange of ideas, report on tried and tested techniques and to discuss issues and observations likely to stimulate an challenge.
acro-attaman
Larva

plaster of paris

Post by acro-attaman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Sorry if this is in the rong place i dont know if this is a issue my ants are tunnelling threw plaster of paris is that normal or do they need something?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: plaster of paris

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:19 pm

Its nothing to worry about at all. I think that is a softer plaster than plaster of paris. The bits they excavate they will almost certainly use as nest architecture. Maybe give them some more soil and they will use that preferentially. But using the plaster is not an issue, just some nest media that can hold a lot of water for humidity.

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:00 am

Thank you. If i put more soil in were can i get it from because it has to be clean like if i got it form the garden it might have wead killer on it or somting deadly like that?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:52 am

I used John Innes number 9, just check the packaging before buy as they will say what they contain.

I'd imagine you could add garden soil if you microwaved it and then let it cool, this should any sterilise it. Be careful though that there are not gardening insecticides etc being used were you collect from.

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:23 pm

ok thanks sounds funny microwave your garden soil haha