Amphisbaenia fuliginosa

Post here for any notes or records of sightings in the wild. Behaviour, nuptial flights etc, everything about these ants from the Tropics!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Amphisbaenia fuliginosa

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

This is one of the most difficult to find reptiles in the world. The simple reason for this is because it spends the majority of its life underground in Atta nests. They are known as two headed snakes in Trinidad but are in fact legless lizards. I have seen specimens up to 24" (60cm) long. They live in the dump chambers of Atta where they feed on the various invertebrates that eat the ants waste. This is beetle larvae, grubs, centipedes, maggots etc. Periodically they will come above ground and follow the trail of a leaf cutting ant foraging line until they detect another colony at which time they will enter and look for a mate. The only time you ever see them is either as road kill or when you dig up a big colony. Sometimes they can be seen, with a really big bit of luck, out and about at night. The locals swear they are venomous snakes and always kill them on sight!

RichardP
Worker

Re: Amphisbaenia fuliginosa

Post by RichardP » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Now that is quite extraordinary. Would it be fair to say that they would be a relative of the slow worm we get here in the UK?

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Do we get one of these free with a purchase of one of your colonies? lol.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:16 pm

RichardP wrote:Now that is quite extraordinary. Would it be fair to say that they would be a relative of the slow worm we get here in the UK?
No relation to Slow Worm I think but morphologically very similar.
Shamual wrote:Do we get one of these free with a purchase of one of your colonies? lol.
Two free with every small Atta. Special promotion I am running next Julember!

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:07 am

Really nice free lol you pulling my leg could I put stuff in to eat the waste well I've read up about the ants waste it's good for planting lol